UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2020, 11:29 pm   #1
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Default Ferguson 3006 record player

Evening all

I`ve just been and collected a rather nice Ferguson 3006 record player, which I think with a little work will be lovely. It has the Garrard AT6 turntable.

Just a few questions (rather than spend hours searching.....). First off I know it`s a transistor amplifier but are there any weakspots or anything I should be changing as a matter of course? I know the amplifier works fine but I don`t know it`s history.

Next, what would be a decent cartridge/stylus for this machine? As far as I can tell it has the original which sounds pretty knackered.

Lastly, the deck was struggling with the auto function so obviously the usual hardened grease. Now, I`ve free`d up and relubricated quite a few BSR decks over the years, but never a Garrard. Apart from the cam gear arrangement etc are there any points that I need to pay attention to?

Many thanks for any help
Old 29th Jan 2020, 1:42 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 3006 record player

This uses a transistor amp, so the cart is likely a Ronette 105 or similar which may well still be okay - new stylus? If not then a BSR SC11 /12 should work.

As for the deck, just see the sticky thread on 'Reviving your record player'. Usual old grease on cam/pawl, roughen up idler tyre, etc. will apply! on quite a few of these decks the arm used to 'stick' in playback about an inch away from the end of a side - remove cam and check/clean pawl.
Closed Thread