UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2020, 6:24 pm   #1
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Philips instruments / scope knobs

Does anyone know of a suitable source and replacement for Philips instrument knobs? I had a PM3217 here which had a frontal impact. I've repaired the attenuators but the fine knobs are done for.

Shaft is 4mm. Knob is keyed. Diameter is 10mm. Length 14.3mm. Colour grey. Blue top with pointer on it.

I'm going to attempt to design and 3d print a couple but I'm still rubbish at Fusion 360 at the moment so not sure how far I'll get

These ones (this nice specimen was from the timebase):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74AEBBFD-B9B7-41A4-8AD8-BCBE65F2252D.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	197864  
Old 27th Jan 2020, 7:29 pm   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Philips instruments / scope knobs

Mr Bungle, what about trying these,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Inser...0AAOSw-3FZCXD6
Old 27th Jan 2020, 7:47 pm   #3
kevinaston1
Hexode

At my last company, I broke down a PM3217, so a lot of parts will still be available.

PM me for the company details.

Kevin
Old 27th Jan 2020, 9:09 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
Mr Bungle, what about trying these,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Inser...0AAOSw-3FZCXD6
Unfortunately not suitable. The flange is out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinaston1 View Post
At my last company, I broke down a PM3217, so a lot of parts will still be available.

PM me for the company details.

Kevin
Thanks for offer. Unfortunately it looks like these are tailored to the specific machine as the knob cap is glued on solid and none of the marks line up. I actually have a spare one but the pointer points the wrong way.

Going to try and 3d print one. I knocked one up in F360 quick that might be workable.
Old 28th Jan 2020, 11:34 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

OK after much fudging around with some calipers and fusion 360, after 4 design iterations I managed it kick out some acceptable quality ones. They’re not museum grade but are correctly dimensioned and functional!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9DE76DCD-7BC7-4542-8FCC-17A0E2042A60.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	197931  
Old 31st Jan 2020, 10:43 pm   #6
Julesomega
Nonode

Congrats, that's terrific

It's good here
Old 1st Feb 2020, 10:05 am   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yeah that one came out better than expected! Unfortunately just got them on and the transformer died. Wasn’t the fuse on it either. Grr. Fortunately it’s got a DC input so I hooked the transformer out and put a meanwell SMPS in instead. I lose like trigger but that’s it. This thing has been a battle! It doesn’t want to live.

Name:	6AC69553-3F29-4767-A00F-674B415B02C3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	198130
Old 1st Feb 2020, 1:07 pm   #8
chriswood1900
Octode

Well done on getting the knobs done they look good. Is the design one you can share so others could make them?
Your experience with Philips scopes seems similar to mine, they seem to think they have had enough and no sooner do you fix one thing than something else expires, I gave up the struggle got rid of mine and stick to Tek scopes or Hitachi they seem to go on with much less trouble.
Old 1st Feb 2020, 2:12 pm   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

Have attached the STL to this post. Was printed on stock Ender 3 via Cura with 0.12mm layer height, adhesion turned on, NO supports, hole side down. Used Geetech grey PLA filament from amazon.

As for Tek, lets not go there. I've owned 42 Tek scopes so far ranging in age from a 453 to a TDS2012 and i'm utterly fed up of the infernal things . The basic Philips units are quite reliable I find. Digital and fancy ones not so much!

The issue here was the thing was poorly packaged when sent to me and front was bashed in plus the RIFA blew up in it with the former owner and caused some incursion into the transformer I think which eventually gave out. It's nice now though - works like new!

Haven't tried Hitachi scopes yet. I'm actually after one of their mini 50MHz units. (I started collecting mini scopes. I got a nice hameg HM307 the other day)

philips-knob.zip

Last edited by MrBungle; 1st Feb 2020 at 2:22 pm.
Closed Thread