UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2004, 8:29 pm   #1
BlowFish
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush VHF80C

Bush VHF 80C
The Bush VHF80C was introduced in 1961, a year after the VHF80 model [ref1 and ref2]. The radio has 3 bands (LW, MW and FM) and operates on AC or DC mains. There are two internal aerials, one for AM and the other for FM. Also there is a socket to connect a tape recorder

This radio was recovered from an antiques fair for a few pounds and was destined for the tip at the end of the day.*It was complete and was in need of a good clean. Inside was thick with dust and fluff – I have never seen so much. Most of the dust was removed with a small vacuum cleaner assisted with a 1” paint brush.

Chassis and Electronic Components
The chassis was removed being held on with 5 screws, it also helps to loosen the retaining brackets at the top, and the speaker leads cut from the output transformer so I could work on both sides of the chassis: or should I say tray as the chassis in this model is quite thin compared to earlier radios from the 30’s (!). Everything was original and unmodified. The first task was to reform the electrolytic HT smoothing capacitor: this was done with an HT DC variable PSU, series limiting resistors and meter acting as an ammeter. Once the electrolytic capacitor had reformed, capacitor replacement was done next: this set had the classic small brown Hunts caps, capacitor *63 (ref1 ) in the neg feedback circuit *was typical with split case !
Once the wax caps and Hunts caps had been replaced, the set (with temp connection to a test speaker) was connected to a lamp test unit [ref3]: valve heaters lit ok *but a loud humming noise but no sounds from the speaker. Now using the trouble shooting jepardee [ref4] the problem was traced to the output valve (UL84): this was replaced and the set worked fine.

Case
Case was cleaned with foam cleaner and the speaker fabric with car upholstery cleaner also a foam type. The paint around the knobs had worn away so I masked around the case and re-sprayed the area light grey . I polished the case lightly with a Brasso Wad.

The chassis was put back into the case after reconnecting the speaker leads and then powered for a few hours.

Conclusions
Another Bush radio restored (Having done an AC41 earlier this year) which is now fully working - far better than mouldering in some tip.

References
1. weekly ERT sheet*1474
2 http://www.bushradio.co.uk (Mike Izycky)
3. Stenning, P. (2002) Collecting and Restoring Vintage Radios, Everyday Practical Electronics, October 2002: Vol 31 No 10, Wimbourne Publishing
4. Miller, C. (2000) Valve Radio & Audio Repair Handbook, Newnes

Last edited by jim_beacon; 28th Dec 2004 at 8:08 pm.
Closed Thread