UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2017, 2:02 pm   #1
Voxophone
Hexode

Default Shortwave reception fading in and out?

On all my sets with shortwave bands, I've noticed that the signal seems to fade in and out slightly during listening. Reception is strong and clear, but seems to drift off station at regular intervals every few seconds, causing the sound to become muffled or distorted.

Since this happens on all my sets and on all shortwave stations at both ends of the band, I'm guessing it's a problem with the reception in my area or the type of aerial I'm using.

Is there anything I can do to improve the reception to keep it steady? I've thought about building a tuned loop aerial for SW. Would this be likely to help?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers

Liam
Old 20th Mar 2017, 2:05 pm   #2
michamoo
Hexode

Default Re: Shortwave reception fading in and out?

It is just the nature of Short Wave listening. Maybe you are more used to listening to FM / DAB stations
Old 20th Mar 2017, 2:14 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

A short article which may help you understand what's occurring.
http://www.hamradioschool.com/t3a08-skip-signal-fade/

Frank
Old 20th Mar 2017, 2:54 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

It happens on MW as well particularly at the high frequency end. It's the nature of the transmission. We all accepted it back in 'the day' especially when listening to Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres. Much worse at night.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 3:06 pm   #5
Voxophone
Hexode

Thanks all. That's very useful.

I would have thought though that the varying signal strength could be evened out by something like an AGC circuit? Then again, I've noticed that some sets with shortwave omit AGC on the SW band only. Is there a reason AGC can't be used to minimise the varaition?
Old 20th Mar 2017, 3:29 pm   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

AGC can only help within its range, if the varies outside that level it won't help.
The problem it cannot cope with is selective fading, I.e. Fading on the frequencies within the channel, that produces distortion.
Selective fading can be reduced by the receiver being able to receive one sideband.
Frank
Old 20th Mar 2017, 3:44 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

AGC in the listeners' receiver is the prerequisite upon which AMC (Amplitude-Modulated Companding) worked on the BBC HF bands. 6db compression is applied at the transmitter so that the peak of modulation never exceeds that of unmodulated carrier power.

This gratuitous reliance on receiver AGC was developed by the BBC in the 1980s and deployed on their HF transmitters (RIP, nearly...) from about 1992 to save money, as the radiated power never exceeded that of the unmodulated carrier. An increase in efficiency by typically 8% was noted.

I can't speak for the modulation methods other HF broadcasters, but the AMC system is well suited to PWM transmitters like the Marconi B6126 and I would expect the more modern DRM-capable transmitters to use something similar as a matter of course

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 6:27 pm   #8

Selective fading, (a bit like a slow whah whah pedal on a guitar) part of the fun of shortwave. A decent SDR (Software Defined Receiver) will remove most of it. Although the use of shortwave is less than it was there are some quite interesting stations from the east (taken with a pinch of salt to counteract the propaganda) and lots of religious ones from America. Also given the right conditions the African 'local' tropical band http://www.pateplumaradio.com/genbroad/tropical.htm ones can be a breath of fresh air.

Closed Thread