UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2019, 11:49 pm   #81
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Hedghog standards converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
is the blaster shown correctly in device manager.
Hi Stephen,
There doesn't seem to be a direct equivalent to device manager in Linux (according to Google). The nearest I've got is 'lsusb' which does list all the USB devices including 'Altera blaster'. So it is at least detecting it as something.

Hi Frank,
Quote:
Googling "quartus jtag server error 89" returns some results.
It appears to be an error associated with the USB ports under Linux.
According to my researches, this would seem to be the case. I found the following relating to USB blasters.

"Quartus® II software does not need any specific usb drivers on Linux to access the USB-BlasterTM and USB-Blaster II download cable. By default, root is the only user allowed to use these devices.You must change the permissions on the device files before you can use the USB-Blaster or USB-Blaster IIdownload cable to program devices with Quartus II software.

The programming software is not installed in the root directory (as far as I can tell ) so does not have the correct permissions.
Going into 'hardware setup' in the Quartus software reveals 'incorrect permissions' under the USB blaster.

I think I now need to work out how to assign 'root privileges' to the blaster software.

The problem with Linux is that it's not designed for people like me who don't really know what they are doing.

I'll keep plugging away at it though....

Cheers
Nick
Old 28th Feb 2019, 7:09 am   #82
julie_m
Dekatron

Use `$ sudo -i` to become root, then try running it.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 10:40 am   #83
1100 man
Octode

Hi Julie,
At the moment, to run the programmer, I'm clicking on the Quartus_PGWM icon in the 'bin' folder of 'Quartus'. This is from within the file manager.

Would I type '$sudo-i' in a terminal window before clicking on Quartus_PGMW icon? Or would I also have to run the Quartus_PGMW file from the terminal?

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense!

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers
Nick
Old 28th Feb 2019, 5:05 pm   #84
Silvered_Mica
Pentode

Hello all , Unfortunately my board and blaster has not turned up yet but I have set up the Quartus program under Linux Mint 18 Sarah 64-bit Kernel 4.4.0-92. When I first ran the program I loaded up franks .jic file then went to hardware setup then clicked add hardware and in the port line it was saying about some port permission problem so I closed the program down then right clicked on the Quartus II 13.0sp1 (64-bit) Web Edition icon on the desktop and went down to "open as administrator" option in the context menu (when the software was installed it gave an option to add desktop shortcut).
After giving it the password it opened up with super user privileges now the port line has a location in it (see pic). Obviously I cant test it yet as I don't have the board or blaster but I think it looks promising.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Altera_port_hardware.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	179181  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 1:06 am   #85
1100 man
Octode

Hi SM,
Thanks for your input.

My programmer has ended up at:

/home/nick/altera/13.0sp1/qprogrammer/bin/quartus_pgmw

Right clicking on the 'quartus_pgmw' icon in the file menu does not bring up a 'open as administrator' option, sadly.

Before being able to run the programmer with 'root' privileges, (which I think I can fathom out how to do), I think I need to be able to run it from a terminal window.

Despite spending an entire evening and lots of Googling, I can't get it to run from terminal. If I could, I could become 'root' before I ran it!

Sadly, this has become a Linux problem (or rather my inability to understand how to use it) rather then a Hedghog one!

The bottom line is that I have the correct software installed on the computer, but I can't work out how to run it with administrator privileges so it won't communicate with the blaster properly.

Many thanks
Nick
Old 1st Mar 2019, 11:34 am   #86
Silvered_Mica
Pentode

try this, open the terminal and type gksudo <quartus_pgmw> if that doesn't work try removing the brackets gksudo quartus_pgmw

What flavor of Linux are you using?
Old 1st Mar 2019, 11:57 pm   #87
1100 man
Octode

Hi SM,
Typing "gksudo <quartus_pgmw>" in terminal, didn't do anything as it stood. However, after several more hours of googling 'how to do things in Linux' and much experimentation, progress has been made.

typing "cd altera/13.0sp1/qprogrammer/bin and then gksudo ./quartus_pgmw"

opens the programmer with (as far as I can tell) admin rights.

Now when I try to program, I get different errors!

Under 'add hardware', there are two options for the blaster.

1) usb blaster port 4-1
2) Byteblaster port /dev/par

Using No 1, the error is ' device chain in chain description file does not match physical device chain. Expected 2 devices but only found 1.'

Using No2, the error is ' Jtag server can't access selected programming hardware'.

I'm sure No 1 is the correct option but I might have set up something else incorrectly in the programmer.

Does the screen shot below look correct?

Many thanks
Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0789.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	179252  
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 12:20 am   #88
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
The screen shot is not correct.
In the lower box there are two EP2C5's. There should only be one.
Delete all in that lower box and reload the programming file. That should resolve that problem.

Edit: added photo of what it should look like.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	prog.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	179254  

Last edited by FRANK.C; 2nd Mar 2019 at 12:29 am.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 12:42 am   #89
1100 man
Octode

Hi Frank,
Suddenly the penny dropped:- I though the device chain error message was concerned with the blaster hardware but of course, there were two devices shown on the screen. I deleted one of them and then it all worked fine. As soon as I looked at the screen after posting the above picture, it was obvious!

"programmed 100% successful" it says.

Now when I power up the dev board, the three LED's flash at different rates.

I was confident I would get there in the end and I have to say I'm dead chuffed, so I'm going to give myself a It may not seem much to the computer literate, but doing things at command line level in Linux has been a steep learning curve for me!

Huge thanks to Frank, Stephen & Silvered Mica for the help & suggestions

Conveniently, the modulator IC's & hex switches turned up today. These are the only remaining items to fit to Hedghog No1, so maybe by tomorrow night I will be in a position to test it!

All the best
Nick
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 1:00 am   #90
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
Well done on persevering and not giving up.
You are the first person that I know of to successfully program it using Linux.
You deserve that Beer. Enjoy!

Frank
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 1:22 am   #91
1100 man
Octode

Thanks Frank,
Just one final thought for tonight:- looking at the circuit, I can't see any reason why the Hedghog won't run quite happily without the modulator chips fitted?

A couple of people have had faulty modulator chips (these have, after all come randomly from China!). It would be handy to test the rest of it and monitor the video from the 'video out' connector on the 'scope. If that all works, I can then fit the mod chips one at a time and test them individually.

Is there any reason why that won't work?

Cheers
Nick
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 1:34 am   #92
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
You are correct. That will work.
It was designed to work without having to build the modulator in case the chips became unobtainable.
All you need is an external modulator or like you said you can look at the wave form on a scope.
The grey scale is good for this.

Frank
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 4:24 pm   #93
Silvered_Mica
Pentode

Glad you got it going Nick, it's nice to see a bit of determination. Sorry I couldn't have been more help but I don't know much about that terminal thing, I prefer to tinker with hardware not software.
And a huge thanks for pointing out that it had to be opened with raised privileges, that has probably saved me (and others) a few hours. I will post back when my board turns up and explain all the hoops I have to jump through to get it working.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 8:39 pm   #94
chriswood1900
Octode

Another Hedgehog is born, arrived in bits over the last 6 weeks and came together on the 25th Feb. It was my first experience of building a project using mainly surface mount technology. I’m fortunate in still having steady hands and good eyesight albeit very short sighted, which seems to help.
I was nervous of so many small components so I set up my work area with very bright LED lighting on a raised platform on my bench. I first fitted all the large switches sockets and non surface mount components using 1.5mm lead free solder and a chisel tip soldering iron.. This was then followed by the SMD resistors, capacitors transistors in numerical order and then the ICs doing the TVP5150 last, I used 0.7mm lead free solder and a very fine bit in my Metcal iron holding them in place with very fine angled tweezers. Most parts went on quite well and my speed improved as I got used to holding parts in place and soldering one side then the other with only a couple tombstoning. The hardest part I found was getting IC1 the TVP5150 IC in the correct position on all sides, I first tacked pin 25 and then discovered it was slightly out and then damaged the pin and pad trying to move it, fortunately pin 25 doesn’t do anything so I managed to re-position it using a microscope and get it working with out the pin!!
It took me approx. 6hrs in total but I did take frequent breaks to rest my eyes and spent some time double checking my layout and the component values with tweezer probes, I only removed parts from the packaging as I was ready to fit them as the Caps have no markings and are easily mixed up.
Finally I connected it to a bench supply at 7.5V set to 250mA and powered it up, the LED was a bit dim but when I tuned my Sony 9-90UB I was rewarded with a grey scale and then a testcard, all the switches worked as expected and after a few firm taps to check for bad joints I was happy it was all working first time.
A big thanks to Frank for developing this project and to Jeffery for providing guidance, just shows what can be achieved by the community.
I attach a couple of photos not great quality and the bar on the picture is an artefact of the Cameras shutter speed.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1889.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	179292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	179293  
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 9:01 pm   #95
Jac
Heptode

That looks very neat Chris, well done!

I too had some difficulty with IC1. My hands are not so steady anymore, and the eye-sight has been better, but in the end I managed.
The "normal" 0805 components weren't to bad, but the very fine pitch and required precise alignment of IC1 was by far the hardest part of populating the board.

Jac
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 12:13 am   #96
1100 man
Octode

This is proving to be hard work!! On fitting the FPGA board to the completed hedghog board (minus mod chips & hex switch) I get nothing. Not a sausage

5v & 3.3V rails are there as is the 1.8V from IC7.

The only sign of life is the 4Mhz clock is working. Connecting the freq counter to C38/ C39 shows 4Mhz.

Also the 14Mhz clock on the video decoder chip is working.

Scoping the data lines around IC1 and the D/A output resistors shows nothing happening.

Similarly for the SDA & SCL lines:- nothing.

Analogue video input gets as far as pin 1 of IC1 but that's about it.

I can't measure any shorts on the data lines or anywhere else for that matter. Removing the dev board and powering it separately shows the LED's flashing in sequence so I assume that's working OK.

Not sure where to look now. I might disconnect pin 79 on the dev board which says it inhibits the LED operation. It would be interesting to see if the dev board runs once it's connected to the main PCB or if there is something stopping it.

I'm pretty confident I've not made any silly errors on the PCB:- I examined every component & joints with a lens after each component was soldered in.

Cheers
Nick
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 12:34 am   #97
FRANK.C
Heptode

Chris
Well done on successfully completing a Hedghog. It's no small feat. You made a very neat job of it.

Nick
The first and most important thing to check is the 27 MHz video clock from the video decoder. Is it present? If not nothing except the 4 MHz modulator clock and the I2C will work.

Frank
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 2:13 am   #98
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
I'm pretty confident I've not made any silly errors on the PCB:- I examined every component & joints with a lens after each component was soldered in.
Well I just knew that comment would come back and bite me on the backside!

I examined the pins of the TVP5150 with a really strong lens, concentrating on pin 9, the clock output. Pin 10 (3.3V digital supply) didn't look quite perfect and sure enough, hadn't soldered properly....

I now have a very nice looking stairstep waveform on the video output socket!

Next step will be the mod chips.

Many thanks, Frank
All the best
Nick
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 11:33 am   #99
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
I have been caught out by the TVP5150 pins too. They are not easy to examine.
You are almost there.

Frank
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 12:04 pm   #100
chriswood1900
Octode

I am experiencing an anomaly with the Hedghog modulator, I decided to have a look at the output on my spectrum analyser to see what it was like for harmonics and I worked through the channels from 1 to 6 all was well except Channel 1 which had the Sound at 41.5Mhz and the Vision at 45.5Mhz exactly 500khz out this does not show on any other channels and the clock is running at 4Mhz, has anyone else experienced this or have any idea why this would happen?
When running the unit into a TV it does appear to work OK but tuning is a little touchy compared with say Channel 2 on a Sony 9-90UB.
Chris
Closed Thread