UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2019, 11:01 am   #41
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Hedghog standards converter

Thanks Frank & Lloyd for the information. I never gave the actuator length on the switch a thought, but it seems they are all different!

I had also forgotten about CPC for some reason but it would seem that for on line orders delivered to your normal delivery address, there is no small order charge. That assumes I've read the terms correctly!

I think it has taken longer to source all the parts than it will to actually build the thing!!

I find it amazing to compare the technology and construction in the HH to the valve telly's that we will be using it with! Worlds apart!

All the best
Nick
Old 11th Feb 2019, 12:23 pm   #42
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Apart from giving it a good wash in IPA I've just finished my first Hedghog. Where do I set the four DIP switches? Is there anything else I need to know before I power it up?

Regards
David
Old 11th Feb 2019, 1:43 pm   #43
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Dave
Any switch position will not be the cause of magic smoke to be lost. So after checking the soldering etc. Just power up and see what happens.

To start off probably best to have all the DIP switches in the off position.
I would set it to test card as a first test.

Frank
Old 11th Feb 2019, 1:51 pm   #44
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
I only knew about the actuator length because I got caught out with it.

Hi Lloyd
I didn't spot the TE Connectivity switches on RS they are a better price that the Multicomp ones.

It is a great help when there are so many building the same project what one misses another will spot.
Anyone find a good price for the Hex switch?

Frank
Old 11th Feb 2019, 2:00 pm   #45
gramofiend
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Only price by PM, which I will send.
Hi I'm just in the throws of starting a refurbisment of a Decca projector tv model 131 and realised, when finished, it will need a 405 line signal.
Could you please tell me how much you would charge to supply one Hedghog ready made?

regards

Mike.

ps am sending a PM.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 7:23 pm   #46
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I took me a while to diagnose a faulty modulator chip but once changed it works perfectly and I have to say I'm amazed at how good it is. Thanks Frank you're a genius!

I've attached a modified version of the front panel below. I squeezed the writing for the toggle switches to make it look a little less cluttered and added channel numbers to the selector switch.

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190212_142933.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	178280  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HEDGHOG-SMALL-PANELS2.pdf (1.04 MB, 174 views)
Old 12th Feb 2019, 7:32 pm   #47
Freya
Octode

Very nice, I especially like the colour ring on the video socket.
Out of interest what were the symptoms of the faulty modulator chip ?
Old 12th Feb 2019, 8:07 pm   #48
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi David
Glad you like it and it is working well for you. A faulty modulator chip can be hard to diagnose. I had two. One was short across the power lines. It did not show a short on a multimeter but when left powered up for a few seconds it was easily found with a index finger. The other was producing interference on the picture which looked like ignition interference.

I like your front panel particularly the channel numbers. Thanks for uploading it.

Frank
Old 12th Feb 2019, 8:09 pm   #49
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Very nice, I especially like the colour ring on the video socket.
I've attached another file with colour rings around the phono sockets. I used this because I penny pinched by buying only a pack white phono sockets.

Quote:
Out of interest what were the symptoms of the faulty modulator chip ?
It didn't work at all. The faulty chip (IC.5) was drawing lots of current. The 5V for the FPGA was down to about 1.5V. It was easy enough to diagnose, after I burnt my finger on it.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HEDGHOG-SMALL-PANELS.pdf (540.5 KB, 152 views)
Old 12th Feb 2019, 11:37 pm   #50
1100 man
Octode

Well done Dave!! I think I'll order several modulator chips in view of your & Frank's experiences. At least they've got reasonable pin spacing so not the end of the world to remove one from the board.

I could only find one Ebay listing for them and that from China. Aliexpress also seems to have several. Where did you get yours?

How easy was it to program up the FPGA? I assume you used a Windows machine? I'm going to have to try with a PC running Linux as that's all I have access to but someone else said they couldn't get it to work using Linux.

Mind you, I've got to hone my SMD skills which as yet are non existent!

All the best
Nick
Old 13th Feb 2019, 12:42 am   #51
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Nick,

Yes I got the the modulator chips from ebay. Programming the FPGA is dead easy and takes seconds but downloading the program and registering is a bit complicated. I did do it on a windows machine.

I've had experience with SMD either. I brought a 0.8mm tip for my soldering iron but couldn't get on with it so I put back the 5mm chisel tip I'm familiar with and then managed to do it with relative ease. 0.3mm solder was very helpful though

Regards
David
Old 13th Feb 2019, 11:55 pm   #52
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Programming the FPGA is dead easy and takes seconds but downloading the program and registering is a bit complicated. I did do it on a windows machine.
What was involved in registering? Do you have to give up all your details and is it some sort of demo version that is 'on trial' for free for a short period and then you are supposed to pay for?

I've just been looking at the download site and there is a Linux version. The file is 4.5GB which will put a very large dent in my monthly mobile data allowance!!

There is only one listing on Ebay for the modulator chips. Perfectly good price, £13.88 for 5. I'll probably need that many to get two working ones! I've never ordered from China before so is it likely that there will be import duty to pay on top? Delivery is anytime up to mid April- is there nowhere more local that can supply them?
There seems to be more options for the FPGA board and delivery seems much quicker too. Again, are there likely to be customs charges on top?

Many thanks
Nick

Last edited by 1100 man; 13th Feb 2019 at 11:59 pm. Reason: extra text added
Old 14th Feb 2019, 1:20 am   #53
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Nick
It is a free version. It is a long time ago since I registered but I think it is just email and password.
There is a link to the download page on the Hedghog web page.
Under 'Devices' you can untick everything except Cyclone II this will help reduce the file size.

For the modulators they are also on aliexpress.com
No problems with customs to Ireland the UK may be different.

Frank
Old 14th Feb 2019, 10:48 am   #54
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I'm sure it asked me for a telephone number and company name as well when I registered.

Whenever I open the program I get a pop up asking me to purchase a license. However when I click the option to buy one it just opens a webpage for intel and the program opens without the need for me to purchase anything.

As long as the the total cost of purchase is under £15 you won't attract any customs charges. In my experience delivery times were at least half the time quoted.

Regards
David
Old 14th Feb 2019, 12:18 pm   #55
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Dave
It is so long ago I have probably that forgot. But once installed it shouldn't ask you to buy anything.
There are two versions one is paid for the other is free. The web edition is the free version.
The link on the Hedghog web page should bring you to the download page for the web Edition.
Screen shot of that page below. I know that when forum member Semir_DE tried it it took him to a different Intel page. Could this was due to his location?
I wonder would someone located in the UK mind trying it just to confirm that it is linking to the correct page.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	quartus13osp1 download web page.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	178362  
Old 14th Feb 2019, 12:37 pm   #56
Semir_DE
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
How easy was it to program up the FPGA? I assume you used a Windows machine? I'm going to have to try with a PC running Linux as that's all I have access to but someone else said they couldn't get it to work using Linux.
Hello Nick,

I have managed to get the Quartus software up and running under Linux Mint 18.3 running kernel 4.15.0-43-generic 64bit. The installation was pretty much straight forward decompress the tarball and then run "bash setup.sh" in a terminal.

In order to get to select the Linux software I had to go here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ad-center.html

You will need to sign up for an account with Intel, however, and this was the part I found most annoying. They require a company name and email. I just used my employers since the stuff I do here is loosely related to what I do in my regular job.

After installing the software I can open Franks *.jic file and I can also open the menu where I am supposed select the USB blaster. Unfortunately I am still waiting for the blaster and the FPGA boards, so I can not confirm 100% that it will be able to program the FPGA.

I do use MPLAB and PICKIT3 and that works without any issues. I also have programmed many Arduinos from the Arduino IDE on this machine without any issues either, so I am positive that the blaster will do what it's supposed to.

I hope this helps the Linux community here, mind you I am far from being a Linux "guru" but still managed to get it up and running...

Semir
Old 14th Feb 2019, 12:52 pm   #57
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK.C View Post
It is so long ago I have probably that forgot. But once installed it shouldn't ask you to buy anything.
There are two versions one is paid for the other is free. The web edition is the free version.
The link on the Hedghog web page should bring you to the download page for the web Edition.
Screen shot of that page below. I know that when forum member Semir_DE tried it it took him to a different Intel page. Could this was due to his location?
I wonder would someone located in the UK mind trying it just to confirm that it is linking to the correct page.
Hi Frank,

I did use the link on your webpage. It definitely was the web edition and did say free but I've just checked and it looks like the full subscription version has been installed. However, as mentioned earlier, it does work without a licence

Regards
David
Old 14th Feb 2019, 6:38 pm   #58
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Dave
In Quartus when I go to the 'Help' tab and then 'About quartus II 64-bit' I get what is in the screen shot below.
But it really don't matter as long as it works.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	about.png
Views:	131
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	178406  
Old 14th Feb 2019, 8:48 pm   #59
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Looks like I've somehow got the full version. I wonder how other people got on?

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	178413  
Old 14th Feb 2019, 8:59 pm   #60
1100 man
Octode

Hmm, I've got a nasty feeling this is going to end in tears!

Thanks Frank, Dave & Semir for your thoughts, but unfortunately, I'm something of a Muppet when it comes to using computers for anything other than the Internet!
I'm not sure my old PC running Lubuntu will even run 64 bit software: it's probably the best part of 15 years old!

I could probably manage to assemble the board and even fault find it if I could only see the components! At least I can develop my SMD skills!

However, I have a cunning plan in reserve if all else fails! That is to ask, very nicely, if someone would be willing to program up a board for me if I really can't manage to do it myself!!

Many thanks,
Cheers
Nick
Closed Thread