UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2018, 11:50 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Modulator or Converter?

Hi, sorry if this is a silly question.

I got a HDMI converter for my 70s TV, I went to test it by plugging in my Xbox, which uses HDMI, which I had no luck of getting an image, so I tried my PS2, which uses composite.

Neither of these gave a picture to the TV, so I googled what it could be, and I read a thread on another website, which could be inaccurate. The way the answer was written, it sounded as if i'd need a modulator?

So my question is, do I need a modulator, or will my converter work, and i'm just doing something wrong?

Edit: I also tried using a modern TV, which had the same issue, and no channel could be found from HDMI - coax to the TV in auto scan.

Thanks
Old 27th Dec 2018, 12:25 am   #2
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Modulator or Converter?

Hi,
I've been investigating getting something similar myself so I can convert things on Youtube into proper analogue video. As far as I can tell, they just convert an HDMI input into composite video (yellow phono socket) and audio. I've not seen any with modulators built in- after all, why would they? No-one has needed to feed signals into the aerial socket of a TV for 30 years! Apart from us lot of course!!

A modulator turns composite video and audio into a signal that can be fed into the aerial socket.

What device have you got and what output sockets does it have on it?

Cheers
Nick
Old 27th Dec 2018, 12:34 am   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi, It's got "HDMI Converter - HDMI to AV + Audio" written on it, and it has: HDMI in, Coax out, composite out and SPDIF out. It also has a switch for PAL or NTSC.

Writing this, I realised the PS2 wouldn't give an image.

So it turns out, ill need an modulator?

Thanks
Old 27th Dec 2018, 12:36 am   #4
simpsons
Octode

The HDMI converter I am familiar with has a HDMI input socket, RCA phono audio out left and right channels, RCA phono composite video out and a mini USB socket for the power supply. There is no 75 ohm Belling Lee or F connector coaxial aerial socket for connection to the aerial input of a television.

The product supplied comes with a connection chart and your television should either have RCA type composite and audio input or a Scart socket for which you will need to use a Scart socket to RCA phono socket converter. This Scart to RCA connector is available either with a switch allowing the user to choose between it being used to input or output from the Scart socket or, is purchase as required, in this instance for Scart input.

You will then need suitable phono to phono leads to complete the setup.

Should your HDMI converter be quite diffrerent, upload photos and the model number plus any installation details supplied.

Should you television not have video input either scart or phono, then you will need a TV signal modulator between the HDMI converter and television aerial socket.

Last edited by simpsons; 27th Dec 2018 at 12:40 am. Reason: Added mor information
Old 27th Dec 2018, 12:43 am   #5
1100 man
Octode

When you say 'coax out' does that mean it has an aerial socket similar to a TV aerial socket? Pictures and the model would be helpful.

Cheers
Nick
Old 27th Dec 2018, 12:57 am   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
The product supplied comes with a connection chart and your television should either have RCA type composite and audio input or a Scart socket Should you television not have video input either scart or phono, then you will need a TV signal modulator between the HDMI converter and television aerial socket.
I only have an aerial socket in my TV, so I'll need a modulator.

1100 Man - Here are the images, It doesn't have a model number for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image01.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	175212   Click image for larger version

Name:	image03.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	175213   Click image for larger version

Name:	image02.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	175214  
Old 27th Dec 2018, 1:23 am   #7
1100 man
Octode

After a bit of digging, I've found your one on Ebay. The coaxial output is actually digital audio so won't give you a picture on a TV!

So yes, you will need a modulator! If your PS2 gives composite video out, you won't need the HDMI converter for this. Feed the PS2 output into a modulator which will generate an RF signal to feed into the aerial socket of the TV.

Cheers
Nick
Old 27th Dec 2018, 1:38 am   #8
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh right, thank you. Will any modulator be okay, as long as it is RF and has the right sockets?

Thanks
Old 27th Dec 2018, 2:48 am   #9
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Maybe; it needs to accept the CVBS and audio. Assuming your TV has mono audio, you (ideally, to avoid having just one channel coming through on stereo source material) need to combine both L&R channels to feed it. Something like a 1-kilohm resistor from each channel output connected together at the modulator's audio input might do the job.
Old 27th Dec 2018, 6:45 am   #10
19Seventy7
Octode

Okay, thank you, ill take that into account.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap HDMI in, Coaxial out, modulator? I've looked online and they're all £100+ which I can't exactly afford.

Maybe there is a way with converters, too? Although, all the converters I've seen has been for audio.

Thanks
Old 27th Dec 2018, 10:07 am   #11
wd40addict
Octode

Why not combine your above hdmi converter with something like https://www.toolstation.com/av-modul...695#full-desc?
Old 27th Dec 2018, 10:31 am   #12
mark2collection
Hexode

Optionally, do you have access to a video recorder, which has either Scart input or video/audio phono inputs?

A video recorder will have a modulator built in & some of these machines can be had for very little money.

Plus, with a video recorder, you could 'plumb-in' a Freeview/Freesat box and of course, play tapes.

All this could be had for under £100 making for a very useable retro TV.

Mark
Old 27th Dec 2018, 11:53 am   #13
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
No-one has needed to feed signals into the aerial socket of a TV for 30 years!
Really. Tell me why the broadcasters spend so much covering the country with Freeview transmitters then.
Old 27th Dec 2018, 1:27 pm   #14
kan_turk
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap HDMI in, Coaxial out, modulator? I've looked online and they're all £100+ which I can't exactly afford.
You’re unlikely to get a HDMI in to analogue RF out modulator which is what you’d need if you want just one ‘box’ - the £100+ units are likely to be HDMI in to digital (DVB-T) RF out for use with current (Freeview etc) TVs which, I suspect is not what you require

Upshot is I think you’re stuck with using 2 boxes, the one you have + an analogue RF modulator as suggested in the previous post #11 or similar - just one word of warning - do’nt expect spectacular picture quality, after all you are converting from HD to SD which incurs an intrinsic loss of resolution followed by modulation using a domestic RF modulator which has been made ‘down to a price’ (professional ones cost £100s) - not wanting to put you off, just to manage expectations

Hope this helps

Rgds
John

Last edited by kan_turk; 27th Dec 2018 at 1:30 pm. Reason: Word omitted
Old 27th Dec 2018, 1:28 pm   #15
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post
Quote:
Nick
Really. Tell me why the broadcasters spend so much covering the country with Freeview transmitters then.
I think 1110 man was referring to connecting STB's, VCR's etc. to TV sets having SCART or similar video inputs.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Dec 2018, 5:01 pm   #16
19Seventy7
Octode

Thanks for all the replies.
I do have a VCR with a SCART input, I should hopefully be getting a Freeview box or something similar.
I should be okay with the quality drop, I'm not one to be too bothered by graphics and can use whatever.

Thanks
Old 28th Dec 2018, 10:37 am   #17
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
...Apart from through an aerial, of course!

Last edited by Station X; 28th Dec 2018 at 10:41 am. Reason: Quote wrongly attributed.
Old 28th Dec 2018, 2:21 pm   #18
Richard_FM
Octode

To convert the output from a Playstation 2, it's easy to find a suitable RF modulator online for a few pounds.

These typically plug into the PS2's output socket & have a RF plug to go into the TV.
Old 28th Dec 2018, 4:39 pm   #19
19Seventy7
Octode

Okay, thank you. I do have other stuff i'd like to use on it, like an xbox or my pc to be able to get youtube, etc, so i'd need a HDMI to SCART adapter too.

Thank you for your help
Old 29th Dec 2018, 12:45 am   #20
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
...Apart from through an aerial, of course!
The point I was trying to make, obviously rather badly, was that the need for most people to modulate video onto a carrier from their own devices had largely disappeared. As TV's appeared with Scart sockets, the need for modulators declined. In fact, later Freeview boxes and almost all DVD players didn't have a modulator built in.

Broadcast signals from an aerial obviously still need to be fed into the aerial socket!!

Cheers
Nick
Closed Thread