UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2018, 10:54 am   #21
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Unknown Frequency Settings On Modulator

Yes, I noted that anomaly myself, as 41 - 47MHz was used in the UK until the 405-line system was abandoned in 1985 for channel B1, initially DSB but VSB from 1956.

Unfortunately, as Alan Pemberton was forced to abandon work on his invaluable resource by his ISP [1] some 4 years ago, any error, such as this, will have to remain uncorrected.

[1]
Quote:
This web site will no longer be updated. In fact it might have already vanished next time you try to find it.
I started the site in 1997 in order to make use of the 'free' web space offered along with pay-as-you-go dial-in e-mail, Usenet and Internet accounts, firstly with Unet, and then Freeserve, Wanadoo, Orange and finally EE who have now withdrawn dial-in access as from 30 October 2014.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 6:13 pm   #22
terrykc
Rest in Peace

I've been in touch with Alan Pemberton and he has checked back through his notes and tells me he got the information from Roger Bunney's DX-TV column in the July 1982 issue of Practical Television.

Note that the origin of the information in this article is the EBU!

It looks as if the confusion came about because the EBU source was talking specifically about Band I as used for 625-line transmissions on the continent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Channel E1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	169595  
Old 9th Oct 2018, 3:57 am   #23
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Thanks, Terry.

That clears it up.

One wonders what the Yugoslavian delegation to ST52 was thinking, because as well as those channel E1 allocations, there were other Band I and Band III allocations for Yugoslavia using the standard 7 MHz System B channels. The 6 MHz channel E1 would have been suitable for what became System N, but it seems very unlikely that there were plans to use both systems. Most likely they were expecting or at least hoping that Band I would be extended downwards to 40 MHz, a possibility suggested by Kerkhof & Werner, so allowing channel E1 to be expanded to 7 MHz. But that did not happen.

These attachments show the pertinent pages from ST52, with those Yugoslav allocations, and ST61, without:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ITU ST52 Final Acts p.17 Yugoslavia Channel E1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	170557 Click image for larger version

Name:	ITU ST61 Final Acts p.30.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	170558

Cheers,
Old 9th Oct 2018, 10:45 am   #24
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Hi Steve, unfortunately, as this forum resizes your attached images to a maximum of 600 x 600 pixels, much of what you post is either difficult or impossible to read!

I copied both images (into MS Paint) and magnified them. The first was not clear, but legible whereas the second was just a mess of illegible blobs.

You should use pdf for this sort of information if you expect it to be read!
Old 9th Oct 2018, 10:08 pm   #25
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Hi Terry, thanks for the feedback. I have attached the .pdf versions of those documents.

I do check for readability of attachments after posting, usually on the iPad, which I view as a relatively severe test, although evidently it is not. Those at interest looked OK.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ITU ST52 Final Acts p.17 Yugoslavia Channel E1.pdf (254.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: pdf ITU ST61 Final Acts p.30.pdf (479.7 KB, 139 views)
Closed Thread