UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2019, 1:35 am   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default Vortex cassette mechanism (B&O)

The mechanism fitted to a B&O 3-in-1 works except it will not lock in 'play'
FFW & REW work as does the auto shut off in both directions. All belts & rubber bits cleaned.

It seems the fault is in the auto shut off mechanism but I don't know where to look..

If I have no tape in place, with play depressed it locks into place and all relevant wheels turn. If I put it on pause with a tape in, it works. As soon as I release pause, it switches off. If I keep the switch open pointed to by the arrow, it works but no sound. If I force the pinch roller by hand to the capstan, it plays correctly with sound.
Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vortex.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	194789  
Old 4th Dec 2019, 7:12 am   #2
PWH
Heptode

Default Re: Vortex cassette mechanism (B&O)

Well I found out what it was. I had changed one of the original caps but mis-read the value. I put in a 2.2 uF instead of a 22uF. With the right value, the lock problem is now solved. Just the random LED's and low left record level to do..
Old 4th Dec 2019, 4:20 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Glad to see you have it solved, thanks for the info.
I've only ever seen mains AC motors in Tandberg decks! Seems a bit overkill in a basic piano key unit like this.
Old 4th Dec 2019, 9:39 pm   #4
PWH
Heptode

Yes I was surprised. That AC motor runs very hot!
I like to provide info as it may help others with the same symptoms further down the line.
Old 6th Dec 2019, 1:36 pm   #5
ricard
Octode

The Philips EL3310 cassette recorder also has a mains operated AC motor, even clunkier than the one in the machine in this thread, it basically looks like the same type of motor they used for their reel-to-reel decks, possibly scaled down a fraction. (There is a picture of the chassis at radiomuseum.org).
Closed Thread