UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2009, 12:54 am   #1
stevekendal
Heptode

Default Restoring a "Rediffusion" set (possibly)

I have a nice Philips Band 1 console set, from about 1953 from memory. Its a "Rediffusion" conversion with a knob on the back panel I think and probably a few mods inside. This, if I tackle it will be my first telly resto, (done dozens of radios etc), just want to know how a converted telly will differ from standard and how easy/diff to make it work via a standards converter? Steve.
Old 1st Dec 2009, 1:02 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Restoring a "Rediffusion" set (possibly)

Hello Steve,
That sounds more like a band 3 converter to receive ITV. If so it will be well worth while and a relatively easy restoration. It's probably based on the Philips 1100U chassis or its later version with a 14" tube. Nice solid sets and the tubes are usually 100%. Any pictures? Regards, John.
Old 1st Dec 2009, 1:55 am   #3
stevekendal
Heptode

No, it doesnt have a turret tuner and the number 1200 U comes to mind.

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=PC020053.jpg
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 5:31 pm   #4
Brigham
Octode

It looks exactly like my projector set, but with a direct-view tube. Is there a 5-channel knob on the right-hand side?
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 11:10 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes Steve, Its a 1100U/1200U. Great sets, fantastic pictures, Line output transformers never fail and they use a very reliable tube. Usually five channel via a row of plug in coils at the front of the I.F. unit. The I.F. frequency is 10mc/s and was usually converted to I.T.A. with a Philips unit or Brayhead. Well worth restoration. I have just been presented with an excellent example, a channel five model tuned to Wenvoe. Not sure how to tackle the tuning problem as the coils are fiddly. Channel can be identified on the top of the three colour coded coils. [under a magnifying glass!] Get that back off!
Regards, John.
Closed Thread