UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2009, 1:30 am   #1
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Unusual TV fault

As many members seem to like a puzzle to solve, I thought you might like this one. I concerns a Pye VT2 12" bakalite TV, not recently I must add, this was when the set was fairly new. The customer complained the the picture was fading out after ten or fifteen minutes, but of course it didn't do it when I was there when I was there, eventually though it did, the picture did indeed fade out slowly. I'm sure many of you will immediatly sus the cause, but bear this in mind, it has a series heater chain and the rest of the set remained working. I have only ever had this precise fault once and would be interested to see if anyone else has come across it.

Peter
Old 26th Nov 2009, 8:00 am   #2
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

Default Re: Unusual TV fault

V7 sync sep intermittent heater to cathode short, or intermittent crt heater s/c. or perhaps a nasty 1000pF hunts tubular de-coupling cap from the heater line to the crt base intermittent s/c. My circuit does not show one but I had a similar fault with a different early Pye. Also there is a point where the crt heater lead attaches to the heater chain on the main chassis there might have been a wisker of wire shorting to earth there.
Victor.

Last edited by ENGLISH VICTOR; 26th Nov 2009 at 8:18 am.
Old 26th Nov 2009, 10:05 am   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

All very logical but no, you'r getting warm with the last sentence though.

Peter
Old 26th Nov 2009, 10:09 am   #4
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

Peter,
well I can only imagine that the heater wire to the crt, brown I suspect must have been trapped under the chassis or a piece of metal from a tag or similar and the plastic insulation damaged causing a s/c to earth when the set warmed up expansion or something!!
Victor.
Old 26th Nov 2009, 10:24 am   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

No, but I will give you a clue, when I took the CRT base connector off the rest of the set continued to work! Temperature change was the cause but as I say this is the only time I have seen this fault and it may never ever have happened again. Have one more try.

Peter
Old 26th Nov 2009, 10:51 am   #6
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

The metal clamp that holds the wiring going to the crt base to the chassis may have pinched the heater wire. If there is one. The clamp I expect would have been anchored by a single s/t/ screw. As the chassis warmed up the wire's insulation may have softened permitting a s/c This you realise is just a pure guess. I doubt the fault was at the crt base because removing the base I would imagine would have mechanicaly moved the wire position and removed the s/c and I doubt the base was faulty but anything is possible.
Victor
P.S. Thanks for entertaining me.

Last edited by ENGLISH VICTOR; 26th Nov 2009 at 11:06 am.
Old 26th Nov 2009, 12:46 pm   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Nope. I will put you out of your misery. To find the fault I had to peel back the top layer of paxolin on the base to reveal that where the pin sockets had been pressed into the second layer and the tops splayed out, rivet fashion, the two heater pin sockets were virtually touching, probably with no more than a thou between them, once warm they were touching hence the the short remaining when the base was removed.. I suspect that was a once in a lifetime fault - unless anyone knows different.

I will post another one if you feel energetic

Peter
Old 26th Nov 2009, 12:57 pm   #8
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

Please do.
Victor.
P.S. Bedtime here now.
Closed Thread