UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:29 pm   #1
annie56
Diode

Default Decca compact 4 sound system

Hi, I have not been on here often but I have acquired a Decca Compact 4 sound system, it all works,the radio and cassette that is. I purchased a new stylus for it but when I put a record on it, it played but it sounded tinny, I have been trawling the internet for an instruction booklet but to no avail, so I thought I would as you guys who know about these things, for help
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:32 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Decca compact 4 sound system

Could be a cartridge problem, particularly if it's a bit low in volume too.
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:49 pm   #3
annie56
Diode

Thanks for the speedy reply, do you know where I could get one from as will give that a try.
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 1:26 pm   #4
qualityten
Octode

It's a 70s BSR turntable.

Info about cartridges is given on post #11 of this very full thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75401
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 2:40 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

The compact 4 (ironically named, since it's about the size of 3 washing machines!) IIRC has a BSR c141 with SC11/ SC12 cartridge, which rarely if ever fail. What type of stylus did you order (ref. number?) Post a picture of the cartridge/stylus so we can check it is fitted right.

What speakers are being used with the unit? Do the radio and tape play okay, quality -wise?
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 3:12 pm   #6
annie56
Diode

Hi, the speakers are what I had on my compact 3 and the cassette and radio work fine. The guy I bought the stylus from said it was a KS41C which is compatible with the sonotone 3559 which is what is on the cartridge itself, I will try and send a photo as not very good on any sort of technology, I've sent some photos but probably done it all wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_130633.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	209313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_130616.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	209314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_130549.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	209315  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 5:57 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

Those old Sonotone cartridges are notorious for playing up. If it already had an original stylus in it, then you should really have confirmed first that the cartridge was fully working before spending out on a replacement stylus. A replacement will be a medium output ceramic type that will fit the pickup head. Luckily there's plenty of cheap ones out there at that particular specification - if you need one, that is.
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 7:32 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

That is indeed a Sonotone cart. If it had been a BSR SC11/12 we probably would not be having this conversation
I cannot see from the pictures if the rubber 'ears' that the metal shank sits on are intact. Have a look and post a close up photo if you can.
If they are then these carts can be repaired (internal contacts tarnish) by those in the know. If not, just get said BSR cart. Or the chinese flip under copy.
Closed Thread