UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 17th Feb 2022, 1:51 pm   #2661
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Heaven knows what goes through the head of the audio crowd. Might be down to microphonics; Mullard did a lot of work on that in the 60's. And Tektronix used to screen for that on sensitive oscilloscope amps, and then vibration isolate the sockets.

You can however buy E88CC from Watford Valves for £12.50 (plus shipping £5 plus VAT £3.50 of course - so £21 in real terms).

Langrex also sell ones that are £14.50 each. But a pinched waist Mullard is£285!!

Note that there is no such nonsense about semiconductors. Could you imagine the equivalent: "My 741's are vintage mid 1970's Texas Instruments. They sound so much better than modern Chinese offerings...."

Craig
Old 17th Feb 2022, 2:13 pm   #2662
1954Fender
Triode

With great respect Craig, the guitarist chappies love the JRC 4558D in the Ibanez Tubescreamer and claim sonic differences between various op amps. There are several other effect pedals where mythical components exist and heated forums full of debating acolytes.
1954Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2022, 2:13 pm   #2663
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Here's the thing - looking through a 1955 WW, the price of dual triodes (12AX, AU, AT7) was 22s1d, or about £1.10. Now the RPI has done a factor of 30 since then, which would put those valves at £33. So not so very different from the typical price now.

The thing that has changed for the worse is shipping - that particular 1955 advert said postage 9d, or £1.12 today.

Craig
Old 17th Feb 2022, 2:43 pm   #2664
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954Fender View Post
With great respect Craig, the guitarist chappies love the JRC 4558D in the Ibanez Tubescreamer and claim sonic differences between various op amps. There are several other effect pedals where mythical components exist and heated forums full of debating acolytes.
This is a distortion generating unit, right? A sort of full wave active rectifier and filters. Where you can fiddle with the full wave clipping and filter characteristic.

Anyway, I'm not sure I can be snitty about that, having built my guitar playing son a Hendrix-style Arbiter Fuzz Face unit, complete with germanium transistors, carbon composition resistors and the original track layout. The real trick is choosing the beta of the two transistors. 120/70 seems about right, with 120 the input transistor.

Such a legendary unit, considering it is only two transistors, four resistors, three capacitors and a couple of pots. But apparently as it came out of the factory, there was massive variation unit to unit, because they did not select transistor betas. So Hendrix had his road master buy them in 50 off at a time so decent sounding ones (and ones that didn't stop working in high or low temperature!) could be chosen.

Craig
Old 17th Feb 2022, 2:46 pm   #2665
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Heaven knows what goes through the head of the audio crowd. Might be down to microphonics; Mullard did a lot of work on that in the 60's. And Tektronix used to screen for that on sensitive oscilloscope amps, and then vibration isolate the sockets.

You can however buy E88CC from Watford Valves for £12.50 (plus shipping £5 plus VAT £3.50 of course - so £21 in real terms).

Langrex also sell ones that are £14.50 each. But a pinched waist Mullard is£285!!

Note that there is no such nonsense about semiconductors. Could you imagine the equivalent: "My 741's are vintage mid 1970's Texas Instruments. They sound so much better than modern Chinese offerings...."

Craig
'Fraid there is Craig. Certain people in the guitar FX market claim to hear a difference between the various brands of 4558 chip as used in (in this instance) the Ibanez Tubescreamer overdrive pedal. But hey, they're not arguing over clean, accurate, hifi sounds, the issue is distortion! And you know what, it's then (when distorting) that chips may sound very slightly different. I'm not saying that as a fairly nerdy, sound obsessed guitarist that I subscribe to, or bother with the debate myself. They're harmless and they're having fun.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-clips.239977/
Old 17th Feb 2022, 2:48 pm   #2666
stevehertz
Dekatron

What are the most sought after Mullard ECC83s in the hifi world then? lurid descriptions please, Blackburn, getters, markings and all that!
Old 17th Feb 2022, 2:59 pm   #2667

I have a few Mullard ECC83s, I am not going to look at them to see if they are the wanted ones, I just can't be bothered, I will wait a bit then any Mullard ECC83 will be worth a small fortune*. I am (pleasantly) surprised that the real cost of an ECC83 is about the same now as it was in 1955, many fewer must be made now.

*only kidding
Old 17th Feb 2022, 6:10 pm   #2668
The Philpott
Dekatron

'Silver Resistors'- Although silver is regarded as a precious metal, there's yet another level of smoke and mirrors selling when you consider the scrap value for .999 is around £14 per ounce...this compares to around £6 when i was a kid, so in no way has it gone through the roof. As i understand it the only reason the ancients valued it more than gold was because (at the time) it was more labour intensive to mine. Perhaps it's hoped that in the subconscious mind the buyer might make associations with antibacterial properties or vampire/werewolf folklore. Electrical/Thermal conductivity superior to copper of course, so this might impress people with too much spare money.

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2022, 6:16 pm   #2669
Radio Wrangler

"Waisted valves"? If they live up to the hype, you should be able to just plug them into something and recognise the good ones blindfold, by the creamy sustain, the velvety blacks and the mended split-ends. Of course it will take time to verify the 'Prolonged active life' bit.

David
Old 17th Feb 2022, 6:45 pm   #2670
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post

Craig
Can't believe you walked into this one, Craig!

I give you audiophile discrete op-amps - yours for £33 plus VAT.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products...ound-opamp-v6/
Beobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2022, 7:11 pm   #2671

Far too cheap at 33 quid.
Old 17th Feb 2022, 8:35 pm   #2672
Radio Wrangler

Just a moment, got to clean my bullsh... filters.

Right, back with you.

Discrete transistor opamps in little boxes. Hey you could get VALVED ones from the Philbrick corporation.... some designed by Bob Pease no less. Those would become very expensive if the audio gang caught on to them.

But if discrete semiconductors are better than monolithic ones, then why bother with the little boxes and the price markup? Why not put those discrete semiconductors straight down on your PCB. Just build Doug Self's 'Advanced Preamp' design from WW, around 1980. Or get yourself a Revox B252 if you want one ready made.

I agree with MM, £33 is suspiciously cheap, less than the price of one good audiophile resistor, so they can't have the good stuff in them.

David
Old 17th Feb 2022, 10:39 pm   #2673
joebog1
Banned

I wonder if Qantas knows that Burson has stolen its logo??

Joe
joebog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2022, 11:21 pm   #2674
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

Of course it will take time to verify the 'Prolonged active life' bit.

David
Isn't that something to do with Nipper or possibly colour TV?
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2022, 11:27 pm   #2675
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
I wonder if Qantas knows that Burson has stolen its logo??

Joe
Not quite, they've mirrored it!
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2022, 10:40 am   #2676
stuarth
Heptode

No it’s not reversed, it’s just from the other side of the tail fin.
stuarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2022, 12:17 pm   #2677
knobtwiddler
Octode

Do you need 49V/ uS if you're only listening up to 10KHz?
knobtwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2022, 1:06 pm   #2678

Quote:
Do you need 49V/ uS if you're only listening up to 10KHz?
That depends on the voltage required, you never know what these Audio people will design next!
Old 18th Feb 2022, 4:26 pm   #2679
Radio Wrangler

The first law of audiophilia is that there is no limit to an audiophiles ability to discriminate sounds.

A direct consequence is that nothing can ever be good enough.

An indirect consequence is that non-audiophiles cannot hear these things and cannot believe in them.

David
Old 18th Feb 2022, 4:55 pm   #2680

Quote:
and cannot believe in them.
I don't do belif, only scientifically provable fact. Oops OT for this thread.