UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2021, 2:11 pm   #21
Andrew B
Heptode

Default Re: DC motor rewind help ?

Seems like Catch 22 , I need to unpick the top couple of windings to learn/discover the winding pattern regarding the connections to the commutator. I have already figured out that each winding covers 7 slots, i have discovered the end/beginning tails but with the whole thing stuck together, I can't get a winding off.

The "auction" site sellers mentioned are mentioning their product containing DCM with cautions are merely using such cautions to "big up" their product (and the price)

Andrew
Old 21st Jan 2021, 2:24 pm   #22
Andrew B
Heptode

From a Newnes technical book on "Rewinding small motors"

Quote:
Rewinding Small Motors describes the technique of rewinding various types of motors, such as split phase, capacitor-start, repulsion, repulsion-induction, repulsion-start, shaded pole, three-phase induction, universal, and d.c. The book describes in detail the rewinding process. The technician should start by determining the following: (1) coil connection; (2) number of turns per coil; (3) number of coils per pole; (4) the gauge of the wire; and (5) the space occupied by the winding. The book notes the importance of the varieties of wind and the various techniques adopted to obtain the optimum wind for any particular type of armature. Varnishing and finishing forms part of the whole operation; this adds insulation between turns, secures the whole winding against the action of centrifugal force, and also seals the part from moisture or dust. A motor-driven winding machine should have speed control, a lead-screw reverser, and a wire guide. The book points out that a coil cannot be wound anyhow as the coil voltage governs the technique of winding that is to be used. The book is suitable for fitters, engineers, apprentices, technicians, and students of mechanical or electrical engineering.

Andrew
Old 21st Jan 2021, 5:38 pm   #23
Andrew B
Heptode

I found a bottle of stripper / remover in a dark corner of the garage where the BIG spider lives, lets see if this stuff does the trick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03389.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	225084  

Andrew
Old 21st Jan 2021, 5:51 pm   #24

Or pop it in the oven at 150C for a day or so...

Old 21st Jan 2021, 6:52 pm   #25
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Or pop it in the oven at 150C for a day or so...
It might make the roast chicken for Sunday lunch taste funny with the smell of burnt enamel.

Mike
Old 21st Jan 2021, 9:54 pm   #26

OK put it in a tin first, I was serious about heating it up for a few hours to degrade the enamel.

Old 22nd Jan 2021, 2:23 pm   #27
Andrew B
Heptode

I tried that at 190, it softened the epoxy which I was able to pick off easily, the cheapo paint stripper finished off the cardboard covering the armature slots, now I am left with the wire enamel stuck together, yesterday I gave it a good brushing with the methylene dichloride stripper and have wrapped the assembly in clingfilm for a couple of day.

Andrew
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 7:53 pm   #28
emeritus
Dekatron

E.M.A. Model Supplies sell dichloromethane for use as plastic solvent: £6 for a 500ml can, also available in 57ml glass bottles.

https://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.p...ent-500ml.html
Closed Thread