UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2020, 10:54 am   #21
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Leaded Solder Made in China

I was thinking about this and I wouldn't worry too much about supply. Other things have been banned for the general public, but if you look hard enough online you will find suppliers who don't care and will ship them to residential addresses no questions asked.

That said, I'll probably still buy a small amount every month to add to the hoard.

If things get really bad, perhaps we could meet a shifty looking individual on a street corner at night, and discreetly In handshake fashion, exchange money for ersin core!

On a more serious note, why not buy some lead free for little projects you don't care about so much, it does still work. Save the leaded stuff for better uses
Old 7th Feb 2020, 1:05 pm   #22
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
Multicore introduced a low temperature "emergency" solder tape that could be wrapped around a splice and melted with a match. As advertised in Popular Mechanics April 1979.
Interesting little piece, found by Peter, in which HW (editor?) describes the solder tape as 'new' in 1979 when in fact it was on sale in the UK as early as 1955. See third image attached to post #15.

If anyone would like to see a variety of higher resolution images showing Multicore's early advertising material have a look at this link:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Multicore_Solders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Talking of Ersin...….An interesting factoid:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...ch=%22ersin%22
The Practical Wireless article found by Lawrence illustrates how the fortuitous timing of the introduction of Ersin Multicore led to high demand during the war. This must have helped considerably in establishing the product as a market leader.

Until now I hadn't been able to find much information about Ersin flux's formulation. However the attached datasheet, which I think was produced in about 1980, sheds more light on the subject as well as the unique nature of the extrusion process originally used to make Multicore. The datasheet is still distributed today by suppliers such as Farnell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
I was thinking about this and I wouldn't worry too much about supply. Other things have been banned for the general public, but if you look hard enough online you will find suppliers who don't care and will ship them to residential addresses no questions asked.
I agree that it should still be possible to source leaded solder for some time to come. However, tightening regulation will inevitably lead to a reduction in the number of sources as it has done with other products. This combined with reducing demand from the likes of us may well lead to a further escalation in prices. I'm happy that I have sufficient stock to meet my forseeable needs and should never have to struggle with the unleaded stuff.

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ersin Flux.pdf (1,012.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 7th Feb 2020, 1:45 pm   #23
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Hi Peter,I bought that solder tape when I was a child.Not very impressed though.
Old 7th Feb 2020, 1:51 pm   #24
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

When buying from China,is this through Ebay I wonder? Also what about import duties?Just done a search and not finding much with nothing at all from China.
Old 7th Feb 2020, 2:36 pm   #25
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
When buying from China,is this through Ebay I wonder? Also what about import duties?Just done a search and not finding much with nothing at all from China.
I bought the Jinhu about a fortnight ago through eBay but it was from a UK based drop-shipping outfit and it's is not currently advertising. However, if bought direct from China for a total under £15 the question of duties/taxes shouldn't arise unless the rules have changed since I last looked. Here's a current Chinese based listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-40-Tin...YAAOSw7bZeNy~E

I don't think the availability of this kind of import will necessarily last, as mentioned at the end of my original post, which is one of the reasons for deciding to act now.

Alan

Last edited by ajgriff; 7th Feb 2020 at 2:46 pm. Reason: Additional comment about availability
Old 24th May 2020, 8:08 am   #26
ajgriff
Nonode

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed the recent sharp rise in the price of some goods imported from China. For example I bought the Jinhu solder reviewed in the opening post for £10.99 (inc) on 21st Jan 2020. The same product is now more typically priced at £17.99. Worse still this means that a reel bought direct from China is now likely to be liable for import charges. In short, the proverbial horse has bolted in terms of the economic advantages of buying leaded solder from China.

Alan
Old 24th Jul 2021, 3:17 pm   #27
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I read this thread yesterday and asked for it to be re-opened. I wanted to try some of the Jinhu solder and so looked first on eBay.

There were a number of sellers offering that make and showing pictures of reels with Jinhu labels, but I saw that in the descriptions of the items, under the heading "manufacturer", they were described as "unbranded". This was the case with the listings I looked at; didn't look at every one.

Can anyone comment on whether this is typical, and that as long as the pictures show Jinhu, then that's OK?

B
Old 24th Jul 2021, 7:32 pm   #28
ajgriff
Nonode

I have a sneaking suspicion that any 60/40 cored solder made in China will be comparable to the Jinhu I reviewed but have no hard evidence to support the proposition.

No idea how eBay views listings containing conflicting information (visual or written) in the event of a complaint.

Alan
Old 24th Jul 2021, 8:44 pm   #29
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Curious; if you search eBay for "Jinhu solder", the response is "No exact Matches found". None of the sellers used the name Jinhu in the description of items, but many show clear pictures of reels with Jinue labels.

I'm now looking at Aliexpress and Banggood.

B
Old 25th Jul 2021, 6:43 am   #30
Bruce
Tetrode

ฺBased in Thailand for much of my working life and working around the region I've used Thai 60/40 cored solder for almost 40 years, and in recent years have started to build up my stocks back home in Aus't a little more in anticipation of possible future scarcity - which with the travel restrictions of covid has come earlier than I anticipated (Sigh! even 500gms seems a heavy burden in what are usually well overweight flight bags).

I've never had any issues, it has always done the job well - melts, flows and "sticks" as well as if not better than anything else I've used.

This is the brand I've been using "ultracore", which is sold throughout both Thailand and neighbouring countries:
http://www.ultracore.co.th/utc/product/wire.html

and here is is an indication of local prices:
https://www.spebanmoh.com/Lead.html

I've only used SPE in store, and it seems that they only ship to Thailand, however there are a number of other Thai mail order distributors of electronic goodies that do do OS shipment.

Bruce
Old 25th Jul 2021, 8:07 am   #31
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Thanks for that. I've now placed an order form a supplier who shows both a Jinhu reel and a no-name reel in his listing... and we'll see.

It is quite rare that I've been unhappy with electronic stuff from China with the notable exception of anything with threaded parts, which at bargain basement prices, seems to be more of a lucky dip.

B
Old 25th Jul 2021, 11:08 am   #32
woodchips
Octode

Current price of tin is $34,000 pmt, well up on just 6 months ago. Makes copper look cheap!

The proportion of tin in the solder is important, used to be able to buy these pens that would mark the solder for the amount of lead, can't find them now? Is this a possible problem with the videos? But the temperature only 230C seems far too low as has been mentioned.

I have only ever used Multicore, the potential problems of joints failing makes the additional cost irrelevant. But I have a Farnell power supply, and all the joints on the PCB have gone grey and non-conductive. Can't resolder them and the joint cleaner recommended now seems to be unobtainable.

How much solder do people use? I have been hand soldering my products for 30 years, and I think I am just getting to the end of the second 500g reel. Ok, use fine stuff for surface mount and thick stuff for connectors, but even so I think this reel has been used for 20 years.
Old 25th Jul 2021, 11:38 am   #33
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
How much solder do people use? I have been hand soldering my products for 30 years, and I think I am just getting to the end of the second 500g reel.
As a hobbyist solder lasts me a very long time. I only looked at the Jinhu as my existing reel was starting to run low.

Alan
Old 25th Jul 2021, 12:05 pm   #34
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I think the last time I paid money for solder was in the 60's .
Old 25th Jul 2021, 6:26 pm   #35
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

How much solder do people use? (Woodchips).
Today, very little, but in the '80s, I bought and resold well over 500 Grundig CTVs, mostly thyristor line types. To guarantee long term reliability (which I achieved), I used to de-solder and re-solder EVERY significant joint in the line scan stage. Boy did that consume solder. I regularly bought the 500g reels, until one day I saw the 2.5Kg reels giving a significant saving per gram. That lasted quite a while, but certainly not forever.
They also had numerous bad joints (mostly thro joints) in the Tuner/IF units, the self seek boards, and some RGB output boards. It was worth it, I asked high price and saw remarkable reliability.
Les.
Edit. I should add that I used a Weller gun. A semi-permanent calluss on my right thumb knuckle. That required a new bit about three week intervals.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 25th Jul 2021 at 6:49 pm. Reason: Addendum.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 11:04 am   #36
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Hi Peter,I bought that solder tape when I was a child.Not very impressed though.
Same here - in fact it may have been a free gift in PE. This was in the late 60's I think. It was terrible stuff!
Old 26th Jul 2021, 12:14 pm   #37
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Some people just don't understand the effects of soldering iron temperature.

Use too low a temperature and it takes ages to bring the joint up to a temperature where flux will activate and solder will wet and flow. Counter-intuitively this long soak gets components up to higher temperatures than if you used a hotter iron and made a quicker joint.
I was brought up with the traditional Antex mains-powered soldering irons, which always seemed to run hot though I didn't know it at the time. The spring stand which makes contact with the bit is a distinctive feature: it helps to stop the bit overheating when not in use. I got used to soldering quickly. When I first was introduced to the "superior" Weller Magnastat soldering irons in industry, I found them very difficult to solder with due to just not being hot enough. My carefully-practiced teenage technique didn't work any more and I had to linger on the joint for far longer than was comfortable. I found it all too easy to lift PCB tracks and curl up wire insulation. I'd also got used to casually soldering through polyurethane- and kynar-insulated wire for assembling complex digital circuits quickly and reliably. That didn't work with the Weller!

To this day I prefer a hotter iron bit. My home and hobby iron, a temperature-controlled Antex, is set to 370C for leaded soldering and works very well. My favourite Metcal bit for professional use is the STTC-137 which is rated at 412 C. That's mostly used with lead-free solder but is just as good with leaded (shhh, don't tell anyone I mix the two up, or my solder joints will start falling apart even though they've been absolutely fine for 15 years).

Hot iron: get in, solder, get out with minimum damage.

Chris
Old 26th Jul 2021, 12:39 pm   #38
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post

Hot iron: get in, solder, get out with minimum damage.

Chris
Completely agree. Cut my soldering teeth with a Henley Solon 25W iron.

Alan
Old 26th Jul 2021, 1:22 pm   #39
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Ah, the 25W Henley Solon, bought in Bridlington about 1962. I still have a working 15W Henley in good condition, but I'm now loyal to my temp controlled AOYUE, but sticking to the philosophy of hot and in and out quick.

That said, I used my old 25W Antex in the garage recently and that was hot!

I've been using 0.7mm solder for years, but was given a small sample of thicker stuff and that seemed really nice (more flux?). The Chinese stuff I ordered is 1.2mm

B
Old 28th Jul 2021, 1:05 pm   #40
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

My Chinese solder has arrived and it is "No Name"; says it is 63/37 with 2% flux (102% !).

I've put a couple of spots down on some veroboard; it melts and flows well and has a nice ring of flux around the edge. But, while it's hot it is silvery and shiny but as soon as it freezes goes dull and it's less shiny than the old Multicore I'm used to.

Any thoughts as to the significance of this?

B