UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2010, 6:40 pm   #1
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai Cams.

As you may know, there is a project ongoing to produce replacement record cams for the Akai 4000D. However, confusion has raised it's head.

The cam in question (pictured) does not suit my 4000DS Mk2 (UK version), but Colin (Doffery) assures me that it would appear to be a match.
So, we have an unknown quantity there. It's possible that my UK 50Hz version is different to the multi voltage decks.

This raises the question of which other Akai machines it will fit. And that's where you good folk come in. If you have a spare hour () could you take a look at YOUR Akai and see if the cam in the picture is a match. Now, at risk of causing confusion, I have included my 4000DS Mk2 cam in the picture to illustrate that 'at a glance' they can appear identical.

If you are confident that yours is a match for the TOP ONE in the picture could you kindly post the model number for us please?

The more matches we have, the more cams I can order, and the more people we can help!

Fingers crossed it'll suit several machines.

Cheers,

Roger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam Comparison.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	35983  
Old 17th May 2010, 9:59 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Akai Cams.

Further to Rogers post , anyone with an Akai in the 4000 range please check the part number in your service manual , MZ317068 which is the cam pictured above(top) This part number & cam also suits certain other models GX210D & X201D. The cam for GX 4000 is as above pic. (lower)also for Rogers 4000DS Mk11, albeit the part number for the 4000DS MK11 is as per MZ317068 ie. the upper picture!!!! Confusing isn't it. !

As I have mentioned before the above part number will suit the 4000D, DB, DSMk11( allowing for Rogers machine) GX 210D & X201D, I can only assume the 4000 would be the same part number. 1721 is quite different ref. the part number.

Hence anyone with a service manual for the 4000 or 4000D could check this part number & assist with this request.

The M7/8/9 appear to be quite different.

Colin.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:16 pm   #3
Yarraman
Tetrode

Here's a pic of various Cams I got off the net
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Akai_Cams_collage.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	35990  
Old 17th May 2010, 10:30 pm   #4
Yarraman
Tetrode

The M9 service manual lists the RW/FF Cam as M9-055c CAM A-2, the Play/Rec Cam as M9-055f CAM B (this is the Cam I'm after for an M8)
Old 17th May 2010, 10:48 pm   #5
Yarraman
Tetrode

I had a look in the 4000DS service manual and "Roger13" Cam photo looks like the
"Amp switch Cam B" (part number MZ317068)

other Cams are Play/Rec Cam B2 (part MZ317293) & RW/FF Cam A3 (part MZ316956)
Old 17th May 2010, 11:01 pm   #6
Yarraman
Tetrode

GX 215D service manual
Play/Rec Cam Cam B (part MZ 217271)
FF/RW Cam A3 (part MZ671872)

The Play/Rec cams in the 1710/1721/M8/M9/GX215 appear to look the same, as does the FF/RW Cam, the part numbers are not
Old 18th May 2010, 8:37 am   #7
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Yarraman ,
Every little helps as the actress said. The 1721 looks similar but the screw fixing is different, possibly because of the shaft arrangement, hence tjhe differing part number. This is the problem with the DSMK11 cam , part no. as per many other models but according to Roger & his machine a different cam (as per the GX 4000)

If we are to obtain as much info. as possible on these cams we do need members with the models/service manuals to check, the part no. & if possible the actual cam, not a great deal to ask if we are to assist members now & in the future & ease costs.

Colin.
Old 18th May 2010, 9:53 am   #8
Yarraman
Tetrode

Ive just checked the GX4000D manual
Rec/Play Cam B ( part MZ217271)
FF/RW Cam A-3 (Part MZ610301)
Amp Switch Cam B (Part MZ206515)
Old 19th May 2010, 12:18 am   #9
TIMTAPE
Octode

This may already have been covered but what about the little cam underneath which raises the take idler wheel to the stronger torque clutch for fast forward? I have on my bench an old Akai 150 where this cam is shattered but interestingly the two main cams are fine, showing no signs of cracking. Maybe they were replaced at some stage.

Cheers Tim
Old 19th May 2010, 7:19 am   #10
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Tim,
That cam is also under review & manufacture by another member, we are trying to resolve the problems of the various cams & machines they fit & a member is determined to manufacture on a small scale when the results are known

There are several split threads on the subject starting with" 1721 cams" which I have requested be combined if possible.

Cheers.

Colin.
Old 19th May 2010, 1:46 pm   #11
TIMTAPE
Octode

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that. Seems a complicated business. Hopefully it will all pan out OK.

Cheers Tim
Old 20th May 2010, 6:00 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

"Previously on the Cam Channel"

Roger and Colin are trying to sort apparent differences in shape and design so that a much needed [and universal as possible] replacement record cam can be produced re various Akai machines. Even though mine's not gone yet I'm gratefull for this effort. Here's my info, responding to Colin's request in post 2* but will it help.

My Model 4000DB [with SOS switch] is Serial No E-00541-00320

I printed out the photo of the D [Colin] and the DSMk2 [Roger] cams.
Taking the case off-I've confirmed that the cam immediately visible at the back of my recorder operates in the record function. Using the photo for comparison [screws at 9 oclock] I find that my "DB" cam-

1. Appears to have the same thickness as [Colins] D
2. The angle [bottom left] matches the D as well [Roger's] DS is less acute and seems longer] but
3. On the right hand side of my DB cam there is a very small angle upwards to to the right, then an almost vertical side which doesn't seem to match either the D or the DS.
4. The top of my DB goes to a point that is "similar" to the DS not matching the rounded D at all.

Sorry I've not got camera capability but I hope you get what I mean.
I don't have a manual but perhaps someone can ID what part No the cam in my DB is supposed to be at least.

I suspect that Akai had two subsections-one to manufacture crumbly metal and another dedicated to handcrafted cams.

Hope this is some help Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th May 2010 at 6:11 pm. Reason: Mixed up Roger and Colin
Old 20th May 2010, 7:49 pm   #13
camtechman
Nonode

Roger13,

PM replied to with info.
Old 21st May 2010, 8:23 am   #14
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Many thanks for your input folks. Please keep it coming. As Doffery said - "Every little helps".

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 21st May 2010, 9:49 am   #15
camtechman
Nonode

For Roger & For General Info:

Pics of Record cams (in situ)

Pic 1 is Akai 4000DS MkII (Unviversal Voltage Version)
Pic 2 is Akai 4000DS MkII (UK Voltage Version)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Akai 4000DS MkII (Uni).JPG
Views:	541
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	36117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akai 4000DS MkII (UK).JPG
Views:	587
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	36118  
Old 21st May 2010, 1:18 pm   #16
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Excellent camtechman, both items the same & they are as per the GX 4000., there would appear to be two versions of the cam fitted to earlier/later models of the Mk11.

Colin.
Old 21st May 2010, 2:35 pm   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Perhaps slightly contrary to my comments earlier on the D and DS MK2 photo [it may have been the photographic angle] these two [original?] DS cams would appear to match my DB. Dave W
Old 23rd May 2010, 5:26 am   #18
camtechman
Nonode

Just dug out some pics I took of a failed DS cam which I had to replace 2 years ago.

Although many of you will know what a failed cam looks like, I've posted the pics of it from 4 angles for those who don't.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Akai 4000DS cams #1.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	36180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akai 4000DS cams #2.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	36181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akai 4000DS cams #3.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	36182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akai 4000DS cams #4.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	36183  
Old 23rd May 2010, 7:49 am   #19
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

It appears that this is one the three cams that may be required & fortunately this one suits most of the models, unlike cam B.
Thanks Camtechman.
Colin.
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:19 am   #20
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Hi

Yes, this is definately the one I need for my 4000D. From what I've read, it would seem that all machines of these models are going to need at least one of these if they are to be kept going as those which haven't failed yet will do so at some stage in the future. Unfortunately I have no skill or facitilies to make anything of this nature but there may well be a good market worldwide for replacements for anyone who does have.

Alex
Closed Thread