UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2019, 1:38 pm   #1
aureus12
Diode

Default B9A plug

I'm refurbishing the mobile PSU for my Codar AT5 and need a couple of B9A plugs to make up the cable between PSU and transmitter. Could anyone point me to a possible source? I've tried the usual - Google, eBay - with no luck.
Thanks

Phil
G3UGK
Old 17th Nov 2019, 2:24 pm   #2
Cobaltblue
Dekatron

Default Re: B9A plug

Hi Phil

You mean these ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-C...sAAOSwJT9cpLFU

Cheers

Mike T
Old 17th Nov 2019, 2:52 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Five unused ones available here too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-9....c100005.m1851

Incidentally, the AT5 9-pin power supply socket arrangement poses a hazard to the unwary, in that the male plug is fitted on the lead from the power supply to the transmitter and plugs into a female socket on the rear of the transmitter. From a safety perspective, it ought to have been the other way around, because the male plug from the PSU is live with HT and is only safe when plugged into the transmitter.

Of course, CODAR assumed that users of the equipment would be alert this hazard and would take precautions. However, in the admittedly unlikely event that the plug came out of the TX socket with the PSU switched on, and came into contact with anything metallic or a finger, there could be undesirable consequences. I had an AT5 for a while, and was unimpressed with the single pole slide switches switching mains and HT.

Very poor - even by the standards of the day. Woeful by today's standards.

But now - as back then - with all such equipment, it's a case of 'ride at your own risk'.
Old 17th Nov 2019, 4:20 pm   #4
aureus12
Diode

Thanks Mike. Well spotted. I only searched for "B9A" so they didn't show up...

David, yes I'm well aware of the pitfalls and like you was never impressed with some aspects of the design. However, the little Codar was my very first ever transmitter when I got my licence in 1965, and now I'm on a nostalgia trip.

Thankls both, again

Phil
G3UGK
Closed Thread