UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2019, 8:25 pm   #1
Karsten
Retired Dormant Member

Default AVO CT 160 Regulated Grid Voltage Supply

I have designed a fairly simple and well functioning regulator circuit for the grid voltage. Details attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Regulated Grid Voltage.pdf (258.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: pdf Schaltplan Gitterspannungsregelungr.pdf (153.0 KB, 92 views)
Old 12th Nov 2019, 9:13 pm   #2
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: AVO CT 160 Regulated Grid Voltage Supply

Is the CT160 still accurate on all other tests like GAS, Heater continuity and isolation measurements and the calibration setting?

Does the circuit affect the tester in any way on the frequency span that it is supposed to work at, 50-500Hz?
Old 12th Nov 2019, 9:43 pm   #3
Karsten
Retired Dormant Member

HCONT, A/R, S/R, CH/R, C/H tests remain unaffected as they are independent of the grid voltage circuit.
SET~ had been modified before: voltage between the 99 V and 137.5 V taps is measured, similar to CT160A.
I have no means to run the tester with 500 Hz but I cannot see any functional obstacles. The regulator circuit "should work" as well. BTW, who will use the instrument nowadays on mains frequencies other than 50/60 Hz?
Old 12th Nov 2019, 10:08 pm   #4
Dekatron
Octode

Good to know that no other tests are affected.

Also good to know that the SET~ circuit had been modified as that was my main concern when it comes to this regulator modification - that circuit relies on the two different AC voltage levels for the mean value of them to get the other measurements correct in the normal CT160 but only on one voltage in the CT160A.

Since the mains voltage can hardly be said to be 50Hz or 60Hz nowadays as it is sometimes not regulated well, as well as it is full with other frequencies overlaid on it for communication purposes of for instance electricity billing meters, I think that your circuit will work well on other frequencies as long as there is no bandwidth limit.

How well does the regulator withstand a short from the anode, or any other electrode, into the grid electrode (or short to ground)?

I guess that not many people run it on anything else than 50Hz or 60Hz except me when I ran some tests with the help of some military dynamotors (motor/generators) that could be used at 50Hz, 60Hz and 440Hz.

I wanted to check the difference between the voltages and frequencies as AVO stated that some small difference could be seen as well as the compensating capacitors being there for that reason. I also wanted to check what the difference was between the not so nice sinusoidal voltage from the mains outlet compared to a pure sinusoidal voltage from the dynamotor. Everything looked much nicer on the scope with a pure sinusoidal voltage compared to the regular mains voltage but the measurements wasn't affected much as long as the tester was properly calibrated, well within what AVO said it would work as.

/Martin
Old 13th Nov 2019, 12:13 am   #5
Karsten
Retired Dormant Member

One of the front panel fuses has been rewired in line with the grid potentiometer wiper and fitted with a 32 mA fast blow fuse. This fuse should blow in case of a faulty valve or erroneous roller switch setting. The BC238 transistor is plugged into a short socket strip, not soldered even though the transistor cannot be destroyed by a short in the grid volts network because the 47 K base resistor limits the collector current (beta ~300).
Old 13th Nov 2019, 9:27 am   #6
Dekatron
Octode

Ok, if you could make a completecdiagram with all dependencies and modifications to get this regulator to work properly and publish here would help a lot.

/Martin
Old 15th Nov 2019, 3:55 pm   #7
Karsten
Retired Dormant Member

Attached I have compiled the relevant earlier modifications of my VCM https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=85697 together with the more recent ones.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Modifications.pdf (3.41 MB, 235 views)
Closed Thread