UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2019, 7:45 pm   #21
Lef de art
Pentode

Default Re: Different capacitors in the chassis and different values in the schematic !

Thanks Uncle Bulgaria but i know my level

Well i have tested them and in generally they don't have big differences
Old 11th Nov 2019, 6:33 pm   #22
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Different capacitors in the chassis and different values in the schematic !

I suppose it's time to go over all the voltages and bias settings then! Have you got a service manual with voltages on and maintenance instructions? I had a look and found one picture of a circuit diagram but no manual for the Geloso.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 12:40 am   #23
Lef de art
Pentode

Yes i have found the service Manual with some voltages. I will test them but i think the problem is in some capacitors because has appeared after i have changed the papper capacitors.
The problem with low frequencys is only in the new recordings.
So it must be a capacitor who is involved only in recording process. Not in amplifier.
Perhaps close to microphone input.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 1:27 am   #24
Maarten
Dekatron

Maybe one of the new capacitors is too low a vaue? Maybe you missed a decimal point position, e.g. used a 22n instead of a 220n or a 4n7 instead of a 47n?
Old 12th Nov 2019, 6:44 pm   #25
Lef de art
Pentode

Trying to configure what can be happen, and to exclude the possibility to have read wrong any capacitor inscription i decide to compare the removed capacitors with the inscription in schematic.
Comparing them i have found 3 big difference.

In the schematic in the chassis
2K/600v 0.02uf/150V
2K/400V 0.05uf/350V
5K/400V 0.005uf/50V

The inscription on them is very clear. You can see in the pictures.

Change them with the schematic values maybe will bring me more bass in recording mode ?

All the other removed capacitors correspod with the schematic.
I really can't configure what i made wrong.
I haven't mess them, i have changed them carefully one by one and everything is in correct position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191112_190908.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	193631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-12-19-38-07.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	193632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-12-19-38-42.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	193633  
Old 12th Nov 2019, 10:29 pm   #26
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I would take 5k/400v to be the same capacitance as 0.005uf, so, other than the lower working voltage, there is no difference there. The 0.05uf however, is 25 times the capacitance of the 2k (which I assume to be 2nf or 0.002uf) Depending upon it's circuit position-and I cannot read the small diagram in your picture- this much higher value could make a considerable difference. The first capacitor in your list is 2nf (0.002uf) 600v, whilst your replacement is Ten Times the value, and, perhaps more importantly, too low a working voltage. My 'golden rule' is to replace with a capacitor of the same, or higher, working voltage, but never with one of a lower working voltage. The manufacturer had good reason to use a cap. of the working voltage specified, so, unless the circuit has been further modified, one of a lower voltage should not have been fitted.

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 12th Nov 2019 at 10:35 pm.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 11:27 pm   #27
Lef de art
Pentode

The strange thing here is that 3 capacitors have different value in the schematic from the capacitors in the chassis. I mean the geloso capacitors in chassis. This values are not the replacing values but the Geloso chassis values.

Mine replacement are through what i have found in chassis . Not in schematic.
In schematic is written 2k and in Geloso i have found 0.05uf.
And the machine was never opened !
Old 12th Nov 2019, 11:29 pm   #28
Oldcodger
Nonode

Lef- as a rule of thumb, any decoupling capacitors ( i.e. cathode resistor decouplers) , should be at least 1/10 the impedance of the cathode resistor at th lowest design frequency.
i.e. if the cathode resistor is 200 ohm, then the decoupler (capacitor) should be impedance wise 20 ohm at the lowest frequency. Then apply the capacitance formula
Z= 1/(2*PI*F*C)
And use the nearest high value capacitor in the series( with the capacitor having a voltage above the measured volts across the resistor).
Closed Thread