UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2019, 1:01 am   #41
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: How to create a PDF from multiple JPEGs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
The pictures show obvious jpeg artefacts and some detail is likely lost, but the text is readable without too much trouble. Not archival quality but gets across the message just fine.
It's really a case of "needs must". I don't use the MRC compression facility in PDF Pro unless I really have to, e.g. for attachments to this forum. For my own purposes I scan to .png (or .jpeg for pictures with no or minimal text), then tidy up the individual documents before creating the uncompressed .pdf. If needs be, the individual documents can be size-reduced before .pdf creation. E.g., often text-only .png scans are just fine with conversion to black-and-white, which reduces their size immesnsely.

Cheers,
Old 12th Sep 2019, 8:49 pm   #42
emeritus
Dekatron

To get pdf file size down to forum limits, when scanning items that do not contain continuous tone images, I select the "text/line art"option on my scanner menu. To adjust the size of continuous tone images I use the Microsoft photoed program that came with my windows 98 pc but runs happily on XP. File size can be adjusted in 1% increments. Futher adjustment in novapdf is possible via the dpi resolution setting.
Old 30th Oct 2019, 2:06 am   #43
Julesomega
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymrod121 View Post
About two years back, I spent a leisurely fortnight of evenings (!) scanning a wiring specifications and standards handbook previously issued to Department staff involved in broadcast Equipment Designs

(snip)

I'm considering 'biting the bullet' and buying a professional program that can do the conversion more efficiently whilst retaining the overall quality ... so JulesOmega I'll be delighted to compare notes when I meet up with you re. the Tek transformer that you've so kindly (and patiently!) kept for me, ahead of my next visit northwards

Best wishes
Guy
Hello Guy, I've been trying to complete the scan of a manual that Ed Dinning kindly lent me, in time to take it back for the Golborne swapmeet on Saturday. I finished tonight, having scanned everything at 150dpi. All pages were then carefully edited to clean them up, sharpen and adjust brightness/contrast. All were saved as JPGs at 58% quality except for fine schematics which were saved at 68%. Crucially, none were re-sized.

Then I PDF'd them with Image To PDF or XPS and after a couple of goes got a perfect PDF document. I was so pleased, I made a donation to the developer!

Hope to meet up soon, or I could email you a smaller PDF of just one of the schematics from that manual.

It's good here

Last edited by Julesomega; 30th Oct 2019 at 2:12 am.
Old 30th Oct 2019, 9:02 am   #44
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
... in time to take it back for the Golborne swapmeet on Saturday.
I hope "Saturday" is simply a typo, as you may have a long time to wait for the doors to open if you turn up then, the swapmeet being on Sunday!
Old 30th Oct 2019, 11:38 am   #45
Julesomega
Nonode

Thanks, calendar amended

It's good here
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 6:45 pm   #46
paulsherwin

Reopened by request.
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 7:12 pm   #47
Julesomega
Nonode

I've been scanning and pdeffing like a both for radio-related documents and music scores, and recently have been noticing something I couldn't explain: the filesize of the PDF is typically 15× the sum of the image files when I scan as TIFs. This doesn't matter if all I want to do is print off a set of copies, but it is irritating for archiving and emailing, and made it impossible to attach PDFs to my posts here where you need a PDF because the size of a legible document image exceeds the limit for images

I was wondering how to word a post here asking for advice, when I remembered that you can ask the developer about any problems. Quick as a flash he asked me to send some examples. I scan as grayscale images but the converter interprets them as color images, so quick as a flash he updated the program to deal with this, and now the resulting PDF is slightly smaller than the combined original files

Image To PDF or XPS

What a star! so I made another donation

It's good here
Closed Thread