UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2021, 3:15 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Update on my Oscilloscopes Review!

Hi!

I have an update on my Comprehensive Oscilloscopes Review, posted in pages 2/3 of this thread:–

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=166060

Dartron D12:–

Would you believe it, a few days after I got the Dartron very generously donated from Trevor in Diss and salvaged the transformer from it to repair my other "Mitte" one, a manual turned up – I have no idea which kind soul uploaded this, but it does indeed cover that model – download it from the bottom of this post!

Advance Bryans:–

Another very low volume British Instrument maker, their DSO1526 is a 20 MHz Digital Storage Oscilloscope designed by Meguro (they will NOT let you have a circuit for anything, if you order an instruction book from them they remove the circuit & service info!), so this one is a drawing–out job!

Marconi TF2201:–

This is an enormous heavy all–valved beast about the size and weight of a Tektronix 545A with two large dial controls in the top R.H. corner, scaled "1, 2 and 5", what these are for I'm not sure! I've tried to find out more about it but so far zilch!

Open University Oscilloscopes:–

Two models were released by the O.U. for their TS282 "Physics & Electronics" Course:–

A) Generatorscope HK/2A – small portable unit in a blue painted finish metal case, fitted with a DG7-32 CRT, designed in the UK by "Opto Electronic Displays Ltd", and subcontracted to Foxall Instruments for manufacture. Very basic single channel model with approx 1 MHz bandwidth, Timebase no faster than 10 μs/div.

Has a very basic function generator and zener–diode stabilized +9V/–9V psu for experiments, etc., and uses two ECC83 long–tailed pair amplifiers for driving the CRT plates, and a dual 4–input FJH131/7413 Schmitt Trigger NAND gate in the trigger circuits.

The wiring in this is an atrocious mess, and all the PCB terminals are marked "X" – if you get one of these that's been got at, you've had it!

B) Generatorscope II:–

This Japanese designed successor model (also badged "Electronics Workcenter E100") featured in the TS282 courses (I can't find the videos any more, has the O.U. had them removed?) is overall, a much more professionally designed and built dual–beam model with automatic alt/chop selection on the timebase speed switch, assembled on two fairly large pluggable PCBs.

I recommend the Generatorscope II Japanese model if any come up rather than the original Foxall HK/2A design!

Both models have only very basic performance, being intended solely for the experimental work in the TS282 course.

I am writing and drawing what I can for these, I have never seen any specifications for these!

I believe one of the TS282 Course Books was actually titled "Design and Development of the HK/2A Generatorscope" – has anybody ever seen a copy?

Safgan DT420:–

This make was mentioned by a reader in "Television" magazine reader in 1984 in connection with repeated multiple problems caused by the insulation of the 6.3V CRT heater winding breaking down, but otherwise I've not come across this one – please enlighten me if anyone knows anything about these!

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf d12.pdf (2.38 MB, 76 views)

Last edited by Chris55000; 7th Oct 2021 at 3:35 pm.
Old 7th Oct 2021, 7:50 pm   #2
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Update on my Oscilloscopes Review!

Chris, your Marconi 2201. OK, I don't know that one, but I did have a 2200 and a 2200A, but around 1979 or 80. Forgotten most of them. I recall a damn big delay line down the back, made up of individual sections, unlike the later bifilar wound ones. The 2200 was full of ECF80s, which the 2200A had ECF804s instead. I recall there was a voltage measuring system whereby you moved a cursor to say the positive peak, took a reading (or maybe zeroed it) then took it down to say the bottom, giving you a much more accurate reading to pp voltage. I had the manual, a big thing full of black and white "blueprints".
I had a triggering problem which I eventually traced to a wrong value (prob O/C) carbon resistor. Inability to get full gain I solved by moving around ECF80s, something I often had to do later when I had loads of S32s and D43s, but by then I had an AVO VCM 3.
I think they were simply high end, straight forward but complex scopes.
Maybe completely different to your 2201.
Les.
Old 7th Oct 2021, 8:25 pm   #3
Dickie
Octode

I have several instruction manuals for TF2201 mainframe and plug-ins (courtesy of forum member WME_Bill). PM me an email address and I'll send them on.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 9th Oct 2021, 4:58 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Having had a read of the TF2201 books it's only an inch or two wider and higher than a Cossor CDU110 but quite a bit longer front to back, with one valve in the mainframe, two in the Vertical plugins and two in the Timebase plugin – the rest is all transistors !

Bandwidth 30 Mc/s, T.B. speed to 50 ns/cm, 11.5 kV p.d.a. CRT.

I'm a bit puzzled why Marconi went over to the peculiar "Wireless World" style junction transistor symbol in their TF2203 book tho' – it a French style symbol and not been used before or since – Did M.I. have a French Drawing Office chap do that manual?

(Still has the "Wireless World" drawing lettering tho'!)

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 9th Oct 2021 at 5:04 pm.
Closed Thread