UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2021, 9:09 pm   #1
maxbruno2
Diode

Default Plessey PRS2280 Receiver.

My prs2280 has developed the following issue.
Before I delve into the set ,would welcome any comments or suggestions.

Switch on the set using the rear swtch on the psu, rx immediately powers up, without operating the front panel power on button, and cycles through the front panel functions,upon completion front panel shows the last rx configuration when the rx was last operating correctly! After a few seconds the rx repeats the same process repeatably. note: the standby button operates, however upon release, the same process repeats!

Before i attempt a repair, i would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

I have a copy of the PRS2280 and PRS2282 service manuals for reference.
Any other information would be welcome.
Regards.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 9:45 am   #2
Sparky67
Heptode

Default Re: Plessey PRS2280 Receiver.

Hi,

My 2282 diagram isn’t to hand at the moment, but if you haven’t already, it might be worth removing the card connected to the power on and standby switches, carefully cleaning the edge connectors, and then reseating it. Also check the power on switch isn’t permanent operated.

Martin
G4NCE
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 12:11 pm   #3
maxbruno2
Diode

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the comments, since my original post I have already had a look at the rx in more detail, took the view that I would check the appropriate interfaces, before going an further. I carefully removed the card and cleaned the swiches and the edge connectors of the respective assemblies. Given the age of the rx, some tarnishing of contact surfaces is to be expected!
The rx now powers up, and operates correctly.
Michelle
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 4:32 pm   #4
Sparky67
Heptode

Pleased you have sorted the problem Michelle. They are a quality receiver and well worth some TLC occasionally.

Out of interest do you hear clicks in the speaker when the band-pass filter relays operate (release) on your Rx?

Martin
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 11:12 pm   #5
maxbruno2
Diode

Martin,

I am aware of the clicks when the sub octave rf bandpass filter relays operate. I will look at this when I have time, if I can up with a mod, I will let you know. More of an issue when using headphones.

Fortunately when operating on top band, the switching point is 2MHz, band edge, so not an issue, however i have not been on for a while!

Michelle.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 11:01 pm   #6
Sparky67
Heptode

Weirdly this is much more noticeable on some band changes, and almost inaudible on others, on my PRS2282. I added diodes directly across the relay coils, that made no difference….! Without suitable extender cards, looking for the source is going to be very difficult I think.

Martin
Closed Thread