UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2018, 4:21 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Heating Bulbs

The "Dimplex" type heater-tubes - my local coffee-shop has a few of them on the walls of the outside seating-area, where they replaced the previous free-standing Calor-gas patio heaters which were regularly getting toppled (elderly/infirm-types grabbing hold of the support thinking it was solid enough to help them stand up/sit down seemed to be an issue).

They're surprisingly effective and make a pleasant alternative to the warmth of the sun on a cold morning.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:01 pm   #22
duncanlowe
Nonode

I have never heard of a Biltong maker. But knowing and loving Biltong I kind of know what it is. A substitute for the SA sun! Best steak in the world too! Sorry it's a bit OT. But there is really no substitute for the SA sun. So much so that one major car group have a place there used for testing vehicles resistance to ultraviolet radiation.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:22 pm   #23
emeritus
Dekatron

Here's a couple of mine.

The "Gamages" one is not really a bulb as such, more of a bulb-sized black heat element with an standard ES base. Kept as a curio: it was my in-law's and would need a new flex if I wanted to use it.

The other one is a 750W 240V bulb with a GES base. Bulb and lamp holder bought for 2/6d each at a local government surplus shop circa 1970. As well as occasionally being used to illuminate the garden to finish off jobs that hadn't been completed by sunset (suspended from the washing line), it made an excellent heater for mum's 10' x 6' shed, and made sure I had plenty of light to see by! Photographed next to a 40W GLS bub for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamages heater 1 .jpg
Views:	175
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	156292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamages heater 2 .jpg
Views:	183
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	156293   Click image for larger version

Name:	750W_GES.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	156294  
Old 28th Jan 2018, 12:13 am   #24
robin coleman
Hexode

I have one of those heaters I use it for heating the shed occasionally.but will need anew element I presume they were probably sold separately. I love the green heater
Regards
Robin
Old 28th Jan 2018, 12:34 am   #25
arjoll
Dekatron

Do you mean these?

We use them in both of our bathrooms, I think we've only replaced one since we build the house in 2003.

The lamps are in units similar to this but ours are a different style.

...actually looking at the price of those new ones I'd be tempted to replace the old ones, they're looking a little scruffy! Thanks forum, you've given me more work to do around the house
Old 28th Jan 2018, 1:00 am   #26
paulsherwin

Low powered light bulb bathroom heaters like those have largely disappeared here, I guess because the winters are colder. Most people will have centrally heated bathrooms, and if the CH is off then you really need more heat such as from a fan heater. They were certainly quite popular in the 50s before the mass installation of CH though, as people could use them in their existing light fittings.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 1:18 am   #27
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Most people will have centrally heated bathrooms, and if the CH is off then you really need more heat such as from a fan heater.
Fan heaters are common here too, I can't quite remember why we went with the heat lamps but even at -5 or so outside they seem to do the job. We've got a well insulated house though.
Old 29th Jan 2018, 1:46 pm   #28
Brigham
Octode

Heat lamps weren't to heat the bathroom. They were to heat the person standing under them.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 10:06 pm   #29
hannahs radios
Hexode

My Aunty had one of those combined heat and light things in her barroom I thought it wad the height of luxury not having to freeze,while washing in the winter. Her house was built inter 60s one other thing I remember is It had a 2 amp socket in the boiler cupboard in the bathroom
Old 20th Feb 2018, 12:27 am   #30
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
The 75 watt carbon filament lamps I use at home and at work are from an agricultural supplier, and are packed in cardboard rolls marked 'carbon heater'.
They are indistinguishable from the later-type carbon bulbs, the sort with the pip inside the cap.
Are you able to post a link to a supplier of these ?
Google and/or ebay not very helpful in this case as almost the results are for so called carbon filament lamps that are in fact metallic filament lamps.
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 3:10 pm   #31
tigger449
Retired Dormant Member

My grandparents had a heat & light fitting in their bathroom. It was basically a large reflector bulb. I've no idea of the wattage or if it should have really been connected to the lighting circuit!
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 3:28 pm   #32
Refugee
Dekatron

Back in the 1970s we had an un-switched 13 amp socket in the bathroom on the ceiling above a high shelf controlled by a high power pull switch.
We used a fan heater run from it and if it went wrong it was easy to replace with a new one.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 11:26 am   #33
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Found this one in a box of lamps dating from my shop days. It is Philips manufacture, red glass, 250watt on an ES base.

Popular as has been mentioned in cold bathrooms.

There was also a contraption better known as a 'Heat and Light' unit. It consisted of a circular silica tube heating element mounted in a polished chrome reflector. In the centre was an ordinary household lamp for lighting only. The unit was actually fixed to the ceiling direct.

The circular element was rated at 750w, allowing it to be connected to the lighting circuit. It was controlled by pull cords. John.

PS. Hello Emeritus. Does that bowl fire pick up the Light Programme?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Heat lamp (1).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	158200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat lamp (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	158201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat lamp (3).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	158202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat lamp (4).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	158203  
Old 25th Feb 2018, 1:32 pm   #34
hamid_1
Heptode

Philips used the name "infraphil" for their red tinted heat bulbs. They were supposed to have health benefits, like curing aches and pains. You can still buy them new. https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HP3616...-infrared-lamp

There's a website about the vintage Infraphil lamps : http://www.infraphil.info

I used to see a lot of those old sun lamps at the dump, 10 - 15 years ago.

As for the white light + heat bulbs, they're still in use at my Mum's house. Her father used to have one in his bathroom, so she followed suit. The heat bulbs are quite effective if you stand directly underneath them. They last a long time (up to 10 years) but are quite expensive to buy and run. Also, ordinary lampholders are not designed for 250 watt bulbs. Eventually the lampholder becomes brittle due to the heat.

The round heat and light fittings : my parents had one in the 1970s but being permanently wired in to the ceiling, it was left behind when they moved house. See this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=88409&page=2

I acquired a similar heater (from the dump!) but couldn't install it due to a lack of earth connection at the bathroom light fitting. The plug-in bulbs are a simple solution - nothing to install.

Oh, and the copper bowl heater! A fascinating design. I remember seeing one many years ago, with a bayonet cap mains connector for plugging into the bathroom light fitting (dangerous - but I wanted one!). Last year I acquired one from a table top sale at the Wireless Museum in Dulwich. Complete with crumbly cloth-covered flex (no earth wire for added danger) and heating element consisting of exposed wire coiled around a ceramic block. The element has a standard edison screw base. It uses 550 watts as measured by me. In theory, it could be connected to a light fitting, although I wouldn't. However I couldn't resist powering it up, via a safeblock. See attached picture of the result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heateron.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	158210  
Old 25th Feb 2018, 5:33 pm   #35
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes, great bathroom heaters Hamid.
You just have to make sure it does not fall into the bath when climbing in.

Most of these were 600 watts and were plugged into the lighting supply via a bayonet adaptor. They were very popular in the 30's 40's and 50's only superseded by the much safer heat lamp.

We actually had one of these in the very cold bathroom as a child. It was plugged into the bathroom light via a 2 way adaptor. We only had a single 2amp socket in the war requisitioned flat that my parents moved into in 1946. [My parents original flat, moved into shortly after getting married in 1936 in Haydons Road Wimbledon, was burnt out during WW2.]

It was of course NOT balanced on the edge of the bath as my crazy picture shows..[took that a few moments ago.] Very cold times the 1950's. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180225_161652.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	158233  
Old 25th Feb 2018, 9:03 pm   #36
emeritus
Dekatron

No, I haven't picked up any broadcasts on my lamp (Light or otherwise) , although I do recall a Radio 4 news item a couple of decades ago about a pensioner who managed to do that on hers and was worried in case she needed a licence!

I remembered I have an old Infraphil heat lamp, bought some years ago at a charity shop with the intention of using its stand with a reflector spot lamp, unaware of the fact that it uses a special 3 pin bayonet base. Thanks to the link to the vintage Infraphil lamps provided by hamid_1, I now know it is a model KL2901. Its 150W lamp still works OK.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1627c.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	158241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1628c.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	158242  
Old 25th Feb 2018, 10:47 pm   #37
PaulR
Dekatron

We had one of those floodlight/heat bulbs in the bathroom in the 1960s to replace a paraffin heater. It got splashed with water whilst switched on and cracked but did not break. It was gingerly consigned to the bin and the paraffin heater, which gave out far more heat, reinstated much to everyone's relief.
Old 26th Feb 2018, 4:36 am   #38
broadgage
Nonode

Regarding post #34, AFAIK, "Infraphil" branding only applied to the PAR 38 sized red coated infra red lamps, up to 150 watts or so.
The larger wattage and larger in dimension infra red lamps made by Philips were not branded Infraphil. I have a couple of 250 watt red coloured infra red lamps.

They are still widely used in zoos so as to warm animals that are used to tropical conditions, and on farms to warm young livestock
Some animal welfare experts consider that the clear infra red lamps should be used during daytime, so as to simulate the radiated warmth and illumination of sun light, and that the red coated lamps should be used at night so as to allow normal sleep without excessive glare.
Old 26th Feb 2018, 2:10 pm   #39
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
Are you able to post a link to a supplier of these ?
Google and/or ebay not very helpful in this case as almost the results are for so called carbon filament lamps that are in fact metallic filament lamps.
I can't remember who the supplier was. It was years ago, and I bought a bulk amount, probably a gross, because they had been so hard to find until then.
Previously, I'd been able to obtain occasional examples from Griffin and George, through a pal in a school laboratory. These were not economically viable, being 500 watts, but at least they looked the part.
Old 28th Feb 2018, 2:03 pm   #40
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I've still got one of these 250 Watt heat/light lamps in my bathroom, mounted on the ceiling in a home-made custom fitting, and directed to give some supplementary heating in the shower cabinet region.
I installed it about 35 years ago, is regularly used, and it is still fitted with the original Polish-made (Zaklady lamp Co) lamp. Tony
Closed Thread