UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2017, 5:51 pm   #1
Ekcoman
Heptode

Default Pye Black Box 1004 original cartridge

Just wondering if the cartridge in this Pye Black Box 1004 is the original cart. It looks to be the BSR Hi-Fli High (H) - orange which thought a bit of a high output for this player. My thinking an M (medium) would be have been the choice. It's been fully serviced by an engineer friend of mine and works fine so wondering if best left appreciating the issues with age of the cart and wear on discs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE BLACK BOX 1004 (b).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	141060  
Old 16th Apr 2017, 6:12 pm   #2
Valvepower
Octode

Default Re: Pye Black Box 1004 original cartridge

Hello,

Don't know if it helps, but I recently did a restoration of a Transistor Black Box and I ended up using a BSR X3M, which gave the correct level and enabled the series loading control to work correctly.

Link to the thread about the transistor Black Box (post #18):

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...d.php?t=134546

Regards
Terry
Old 16th Apr 2017, 8:43 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The BSR TC8H is the wrong cartridge for your Black Box, it does not need one of such a high output as it will overload the amp and cause severe distortion.
You best bet is a BSR X5M still (just) available and it will play stereo LPs without causing damage. The removed BSR TC8H will have a high instrinsic value of around £50.00 and will overpay the cost of the X5M!
Old 17th Apr 2017, 9:51 am   #4
Ekcoman
Heptode

Have a few spare carts that might be more suitable a SONOTONE 20-T1, RONETTE 105 & TX 88. ?? Be still interested in which one was in there originally. Thanks for replies.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 10:21 am   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

According to Radiomuseum ---Transistorised Hi-Fi table record reproducer. Fitted with BSR type UA15 changer & Ronette TX88 cartridge.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 10:29 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Ronette 105 would also be suitable as it gives an output of 250mV, ideal to load your 1004. You would need to bridge the LH and RH channels, best done on the tag strip under the deck plate.