UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2017, 2:28 pm   #1
RussellG
Retired Dormant Member

Default Various vintage/retro audio equipment values

Hi all
first of all, my apologies if this post is not allowed on here but I am well and truly stuck and I have registered on this site to look for advice.
My uncle recently passed away and I have been slowly sorting out the remains of his estate and belongings.
Today, I have come across his hi-fi equipment, which many years ago he was very proud of.

I know very little about it all so have registered on here to find out if the equipment is worth anything, or if it should be just thrown out. Hopefully it is worth a little bit of money so I can raise a bit of cash for my aunt.

This is the first forum of this kind I have come across so I hope you can advise, or even refer me to other more suitable sites.
Once again my apologies if I have broken any rules here.

The sets are:
Technics Frequency Generator Servo Automatic SL-B2 turntable
Marantz model 1040(e) amplifier
AKAI GXC-301D Double Capstan stereo Cassette Deck (Dolby)
Hitachi AM-FM Stereo Tuner model FT-3500L
Speakers x 2 in wooden case (forgot to note make and model)

I have checked them all over and as far as I know all the above work perfectly, except the turntable. I can hear the motor turning, but the turntable fails rotate so I am guessing it needs a new belt? This has a floating type of stylus arm which all seems to work well.

I have photographs of them all, but again not sure how to post them or if that's allowed on here

So, just need to know if this lot is destined for sale or the bin. If the former, can anyone suggest somewhere to sell it all, other than 'that' auction site
All the best and thanks in advance
Russ
Old 17th Apr 2017, 3:56 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Various vintage/retro audio equipment values

Thanks you for your inquiry. Looking at some recent sales: the Marantz £95.00, Technics Deck (fully working) £94, Hitachi Tuner £10-24. Akai deck, not found one selling. Do not know the type of speakers. The equipment is mostly late 1970s/early 1980s and reasonably well matched as a system, but will best sell separately on eBay, or others. Be reasonable in your sales expectations, my prices here are as I found them from recent sales. Maybe let us know what the speakers are?
Old 17th Apr 2017, 4:38 pm   #3
RussellG
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Edward, ill save them from the skip in that case and see what I can get for them...every penny counts !!!!
Old 17th Apr 2017, 5:06 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

On no account skip them, that Amp is a good-un. What make/type are the speakers?
Old 17th Apr 2017, 9:36 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Even if the turntable isn't working, it sounds like it may just need a new belt, and it will still be far far better than the horrors currently in the shops cashing in on the vinyl revolution. Someone will be interested.

David
Old 18th Apr 2017, 12:17 am   #6
paulsherwin

Do you mean an Akai GXC-310D? If so, this was a very good twin capstan deck. A friend of mine bought one at university and I still have some tapes recorded on it. They are quite mechanically complex so might need lots of maintenance now. Sadly there isn't much of a market for cassette decks nowadays, and even very good ones can be bought for little money.

Although it won't sell for big bucks, I'm sure lots of people would be happy to give it a home.

http://www.vintagecassette.com/akai/gxc-310d
Old 18th Apr 2017, 4:51 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The Marantz 1040 is very well thought of being one the older Marantz amplifiers. Only been able to find a reference to the Marantz 1040A though. Maybe the A refers to America 110v the E to Europe 230v?

Its a good idea if your going to sell them to test them as much as possible and include links to manual's like this one for your amp - https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ntz/1040.shtml

If your speakers are Celestion Ditton 44's or similar they may be worth more than the hifi separates so well worth saving.

Andy.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 10:00 am   #8
RojDW48
Nonode

'Pre-loved' is a national site with a sort of hi-fi section if you don't want the fuss of registering with Ebay. Listing is free. I would sell these items separately, describe as fully as you can, post photos and test them (if you are confident enough to do so) and describe the results. You will reach a bigger market if you are prepared to pack and send them....but that is a big decision. These are quite delicate things and need to be very well packed to survive the ministrations of our parcel handling community!
Old 18th Apr 2017, 10:39 am   #9
RussellG
Retired Dormant Member

cheers for all the replies folks, helped me out no end.
I've had a look at the speakers, and all I can find is a sticker on the back saying 'Ram Electronics - Norwich'
I'm not sure if that's the manufacturer of the speakers or just the retail outlet.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 11:19 am   #10
Audio1950
Dekatron

If you google "RAM Electronics Norwich" you'll find lots of information on the firm, who apparently were well regarded.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 5:24 pm   #11
RussellG
Retired Dormant Member

Can you post pics on here?
Old 18th Apr 2017, 5:49 pm   #12
Station X

Yes.

See here:-

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=77650

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread