UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2017, 10:10 pm   #1
crazyfit
Retired Dormant Member

Default Blaupunkt Arkansas 42962 problems.

Hi guys. I bought this a week ago.a week ago. The radio has worked from the off but I haven't been able to use the turntable yet. There doesn't seem to be any power to it as yet, unless there is something that I'm not doing right. From looking underneath the turntable, it seems that it may just be a wiring thing. There is a lead coming from some spades that has a 5 pin plug on the end. The lead has a red wire and a yellow wire and each has bare copper wire alongside them within the same plastic coating. Apart from this lead and the mains lead, I don't have any others. Also, do I need to press any particular buttons by the radio to transfer power to the deck please? I get stations on VHF but not the other wavebands, so presume I will do once I get an aerial sorted?

Thanks.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 11:29 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Blaupunkt Arkansas 42962 problems.

The lead you describe sounds like a pair of screened cables. These will carry the signal from the pickup to the amplifier. I'm not familiar with Blaupunkt Radiograms, but there should be a socket on the chassis into which the 3-pin plug fits. There should also be a switch to select 'Gram' (Phono). I'm not sure what the German word for this is (someone on here will know!), but it may be indicated, as may be the socket, by a 'Pickup' Symbol.
As to AM radio reception, if the set doesn't have an internal ferrite rod or frame aerial, then an external one will be needed. PIctures may help us sort things out for you
Old 11th Apr 2017, 12:04 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

You won't need to press any buttons to transfer power to the record deck, the turntable should be getting power no matter whether you are using the buttons to select "gram", or "radio", those buttons are audio only. As said already, there will be a socket somewhere on the chassis to plug the 5 pin plug into. Take the turntable off (there should be a circlip round the centre spindle) and with the power switched on, check that the motor is spinning when the control lever on the deck is moved to "manual". If it is, then the problem is fairly easy to diagnose, as it will be a simple case of the rubber drive wheel not turning the turntable.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 12:31 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The autochanger in your radiogram is most likely to be a Garrard "Autoslim". You will find much info in the Stickys at the top of this section that advise on how to service these. When you've removed the platter. If the motor spindle is not spinning check the 2 core mains lead to it. These motors rarely fail.
Old 12th Apr 2017, 6:00 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Is there a hum coming from the motor? Could be the platter is stuck due to solid grease. As other's have said the power should be there all the time. It's probably switched by a micro switch or big switch as Audio1950 says on top of the record player section.

You really need to get a meter and check at the motor. BE CAREFUL, there's mains AC voltages in there that CAN KILL or give you a nasty shock. There will also be high voltage DC voltage around 300v that can also KILL.

When taking a reading clip the leads of your meter on to the motor with the Radiogram turned off for 20 minutes or so to make sure there is no stored charge in any capacitor's. Then switch it on with your self and any fingers out the way.

Lastly, take some decent pictures of the insides and post them here. We can advise you better if we can see what the craic is.

Andy.
Old 13th Apr 2017, 10:44 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

You must make sure that the drawer in which the record deck sits is pushed fully back inside the cabinet. There is a hidden switch at the back and the turntable will not run if the drawer is even slightly out.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread