UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2005, 9:53 am   #1
daro
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai M-10 (Akai X-200 Tape transport) Problem

I have got an Akai M-10 which has a problem of blowing the mains fuse when the tape is playing in the reverse direction.

I replaced all the caps on the capstan motor with mains rated caps when I first got it, I also had to replace the main pulley as the old one was falling to pieces with a new one that I had machined.

I am after an circut diagram of this unit so I can determine if the problem is with the capstan motor or I have problem elsewhere..
Old 14th Aug 2005, 12:02 pm   #2
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Re: Akai M-10 (Akai X-200 Tape transport) Problem

Hello,

This machine, can you start it off playing in the opposite direction? could it be a heavy current draw when the motor changes direction causing the fuse to blow. I would assume that when the armature to the right of the pinch roller is low the motor stops spinning, can you tell it to play in reverse whilst the motor is not spinning, this would narrow the fault down to the motor and its electronics. If it was to still blow a fuse after that I would suspect that there is a large relay or solenoid which operates the head configuration selector, that would be another place to look.

Have a look at the following sites, drop them an email, they may have what you want

http://www.savoy-hill.co.uk/library.htm#a

http://www.bassboy.com.au/getreel/contents.htm
Old 16th Aug 2005, 1:08 pm   #3
daro
Retired Dormant Member

The machine blows the fuse about a second or so after the machine is put into reverse play mode.

My question to you is how do you make a AC induction motor go into reverse?
The speeds on the capstan are also electrically controlled rather then moving a jockey idler wheel on a stepped motor pulley as used on most tape decks of this vintage.
Old 16th Aug 2005, 2:15 pm   #4
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
My question to you is how do you make a AC induction motor go into reverse?
By reversing the relative phase angle between the windings. In a single phase situation this is just a matter of changing the phase on the starting winding as the main power comes from a single directly run winding which drives the motor equally either way. Since this results in zero torque at zero revs a second winding with a capacitor to provide some phase shift combines with the main field to give a definite rotational direction to the total field thus generating some starting torque in the required direction. By reversing that it will set off the other way. Failure of the second winding to provide the starting field makes the motor like a transformer with a shorted turn - so check that the reversing switch actually works.
Old 2nd Sep 2005, 11:47 am   #5
daro
Retired Dormant Member

I think I have found the problem, I think it was caused by a thumb tack that I had used to hold the top grill in place.

It fell into auto reverse board & shorted out somthing causing the fuse to blow.

I managed to find a manual for my M-10 from a firm that supplies service manuals to the service industry & I scanned it into my computer & produced a PDF document.

My M-10 is now working once again & I also repaired the auto shut off mech as well.
Closed Thread