UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2009, 8:46 am   #21
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Early TV auction at Bonhams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Just having a look at the online catalogue, this looks rather like a ferrograph and not a swedish wire recorder!

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publi...eNo=17616&iSal
The answer to this dawned on me when the lot was auctioned. "Wearite" had inadvertantly become "wire" while compiling the catalogue. No idea about the Swedish bit.

Despite a number of mistakes in the catalogue the whole event was a credit to Laurence Fisher and his colleagues at Bonhams.

One minor annoyance was lot 614 where the principal photo and the one that appeared on the big screen during the sale was not of the main item in the lot. http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publi...aleSectionNo=1
Whatever you think of the pile of that is the VT73DA it was a definite bargain at £30 and would have gone higher had at least one other potential buyer realised in time what was being offered.
Old 1st Oct 2009, 9:29 am   #22
brianc
Rest in Peace

I concur with Jeffery. The auction was extremely well organised and a pleasure to attend - thanks to Laurence and John, those intrepid auctioneers! I was fortunate to bag a couple of bargains - unlike the guy who bought the Sony Trinitron!! It was also a chance to have a few bevies with fellow BVWS members after the show - thanks Mike!
Cheers
Brian
Old 1st Oct 2009, 10:29 am   #23
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Is what I am seeing correct? Lot 630, a TV22 went for £1,680
Old 1st Oct 2009, 10:46 am   #24
brianc
Rest in Peace

You're absolutely right David. The hammer price was £1,400! A TV12B went for £50! It just shows what publicity can do for the "value" of a particular model.
Cheers
Brian
Old 1st Oct 2009, 2:29 pm   #25
newlite4
Octode

I can't quite believe how the rather tired looking teasmade and bakelite bed warmer (lot 190) fetched £420 . This is routine 'pound a time' boot sale fare, as Sean says: "what recession?".
Neil
Old 1st Oct 2009, 9:28 pm   #26
Ian B
Hexode

A lot of the higher priced items were sold to some gentlemen from Germany. I believe the TV22 was bought by a chap on behalf of the Berlin museum; clearly they were determined to aquire one, and with the pound low against the euro it possibly didn't seem that expensive to them! Another man wanted to pay cash for his purchases (over £6000 worth) and was very annoyed to find that our anti-moneylaundering legislation prohibits this for amounts over £5000! At least that's what the cashiers kept telling him. I think a solution was eventually found however. To be fair to Bonhams, they did make it perfectly clear when buyers registered that they could only accept cash up to £5000.
Altogether a very interesting sale, I'm VERY glad I went.

Ian Blackbourn
Old 1st Oct 2009, 11:26 pm   #27
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Very strange prices some rare stuff going for little and common stuff for alot ! The basic pre war cossor tv for example went for a huge sum?
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 12:38 am   #28
peter_scott
Dekatron

The Cossor had the strange claim that it was "the world's first commercial high-definition electronic television". I wonder what criteria were used to determine that?
Someone clearly must have accepted the truth of it!

Peter
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 8:05 am   #29
Duke_Nukem
Octode

There were quite a few errors in the descriptions. Yes, the Cossor was there at the start of transmissions, but I think Baird and EMI to name but two would have something to say about who was first (something looking just like a Baird T5 was being demonstrated in 1935!).

Then there is the ITV-equipped "1951" pye VT2, and so forth.

Yes, a right odd-ball mix of prices, however although I didn't view any of them I believe that a number of sets had been got at and if this were the case it could explain why stuff like the mighty 1948 Dynatron only made £120. Can anyone who viewed these sets comment on the internal condition of the sets (they all look nice 'n shiny in the pictures).

TTFN,
Jon
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 8:28 am   #30
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

It would be interesting to make some sence of the pricing as Jon says. The cheaper priced pre war sets for example , were they complete ? It almost seams as if the knowledge of the buyers was a little limited .
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 8:36 am   #31
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Condition was inevitably variable - this was not a parade of "concours" sets. A couple of sets, such as the big RGD TV/radio/gram, had serious problems and there was one that frightened Bonhams because it had bad woodworm. Most were in sensible condition, as far as I am aware.

I bought the VT2 which has what looks like an official Pye ITV converter fitted. All part of the set's history. More about that when I get it home. I also bought the B16T which has a smallish piece of veneer missing but looks electrically reasonable. It has a modern aerial socket, neatly fitted, which suggests it may have been used relatively recently.
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 12:16 pm   #32
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Early TV auction at Bonhams

Thanks Jeffrey,
I didn't link the two as no mention in paper of where the sale was, but who is paying these prices I wonder.

Geof
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 2:28 pm   #33
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I know that 3 prewar sets, around 5K each, (Marconi 702 and 703, HMV900) have come into our community though one of the guys isn't a forum member. I have a hunch that a fair bit of the high bidding was coming from Euro land where there is a big currency advantage.
Closed Thread