UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2018, 8:21 pm   #1
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default NAB spools?

Hi All,

Bit tricky to figure where to put this thread, it cuts through Computing and Audio really.

I am trying to help a friend clear a vast quantity of mainly scrap metals and rubbish from a site local to me, but today I have unearthed a lot (50+) LEO Data tapes.

To my admittedly untrained eye, these look a lot like standard recording tape on NAB spools.

The site clearance is costing a small fortune, with rather a lot of asbestos to have removed, so my friend is looking to try to make some cash.

Assuming these reels are usable in some way, what should I be asking for them?

Is there anyone that wants this srt of stuff for computing, or is it best to go down the audio route - I have a tape here, and even after all the years of less than ideal storage, the tape is still in good physical condition.

Cheers
Sean
Old 19th Jun 2018, 9:36 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: NAB spools?

Data tape does not have ideal characteristics for audio though it will work - it is also usually thinner than standard play audio tape.

I am sure someone would want it, if only for the NAB spools.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 9:49 pm   #3
jamesperrett
Octode

Are these computer tape reels? If so, they will probably be half inch tape rather than quarter inch tape and I'm fairly sure that the reels aren't compatible with NAB hubs (although I didn't get my half inch recorder until computer reels were long obsolete so I've never actually tried a computer reel on it).
Old 19th Jun 2018, 10:03 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Yes, these are 1/2" tapes, so perhaps they aren't that useful then
Old 19th Jun 2018, 10:39 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Can the centre spacer be turned down to narrow the space between the flanges? the centre hole looks like a NAB fitting.

I used to have some LEO spools kicking around, but I've not seen them in years... Came from M&B's in Leeds.

David