UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2019, 11:01 am   #1
mimi5rich
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips 131U-15. UY41 too hot?

Hello,
There is problem with the UY41 -

1. The valve is extremely hot and after 15-20-30 minutes inside receiver also become extremely hot
2. Because of the heat the stations start change their place and you have to adjusts the stations every 5-6 minutes that is annoying.

The receiver is Philips 131U-15 made in UK.

All the parts inside are original, but some of them are cracked and I thing to start replacing them by modern ones.

Old 15th Jun 2019, 11:13 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: UY41 too hot

It's normal for rectifier valves to run hot. However, this radio dates from 1953 and if unrestored will be full of leaky capacitors. It sounds as if you don't have a lot of expertise in this field, so the simplest solution would be to pay someone to restore it for you.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 11:24 am   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: UY41 too hot

I don't know the radio model, but generally speaking there are several capacitors in most valve radios, at least one of which must be changed to avoid irreparable damage to components such as the output transformer and output valve. These capacitors are often called 'waxies', short for Waxed Paper, and become electrically leaky. Philips often used black coated capacitors which suffer from the same faults. Do Not apply power to the radio again until these parts have been replaced. You need a multimeter, either analog or digital, plus a suitable soldering iron in order to carry out tests and repairs. If you are unsure as to what to do, or are unfamiliar with working on valved radios perhaps another nearby forum member will be able to help you. Safety is Paramount High AC & DC voltages are present, the latter can persist even after the radio is switched off and unplugged from the mains. I felt it necessary to include the above warnings in my post since I obviously do not know your level of skill and knowledge. (Edit; Crossed with Paul's mor succicnt reply!)
Closed Thread