UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2019, 3:40 pm   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Roberts RP26-B preset radio

This LW/MW/VHF transistor radio from the late 80s has the wooden-ends styling we associate with earlier 60s/70s Roberts products. Yet the controls look to be identical to those of the very differently styled RP20 model. I wonder if any Roberts aficionado can tell me whether the electronics is the same? And for that matter, how well did the radios perform?
Old 24th May 2019, 5:21 pm   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Roberts RP26-B preset radio

I find it it is always a good idea to add links or photos if possible to clarify your post, and it helps people answer your question. It can save everyone having to look and search for them themselves.
I have not been able to find a Roberts RP20 what is it.
This is the RP26-B https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_rp26_brp_26.html

Mike
Old 24th May 2019, 6:02 pm   #3
Andrewausfa
Octode

The RP-20 looks unlike the more traditional Roberts sets, late 80's dark grey or silver grey plastic thing.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts-RP20-Radio.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	183758  
Old 24th May 2019, 7:32 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Truly horrible! I sold a number of these...unfortunately. Presets were so sensitive to adjust that most guys could not do it easily and as most customers were elderly I had a constant stream of moans.. A tiny turn and the station was lost. To add insult to injury the AFC was nasty. Terrible model. I will say no more! Come back Fidelity, all is forgiven. John.
Old 11th Jun 2019, 11:10 am   #5
efchase
Diode

I agree it is sensitive.

I was just asked to mend one where the tuning was completely off, with half the FM stations “off the dial”. The 3 FM pots are fed from a 5k preset. No matter where I turned the preset I could not get all the stations within the range of the pots. So the preset was more than just dirty; it must have a crack in the track or similar. Replaced with a 10k as an 8k setting was only way to get all the stations within the range.

Noticed that a large coil at bottom left of RF PCB (looking from back) had its wax coating broken and had been bent to make the coils much further apart. Any idea why this was? I put it back to what seemed like its as manufactured state and it seemed to work OK.

Tuning is stable, unlike another post here saying it drifted with time. I am sure realignment would improve it but I don’t have the manual for this.

Nothing received on MW but that might be just a lack of MW stations here. LW works.
Closed Thread