UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2019, 3:58 pm   #1
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.
Default Philips portable data programmer

Hello all, I have been trying to get a computer data programmer to work. I got the nessecary interface card and software and put them on an old 386 computer and tried to read a Portable Data Programmer but all I got was unable to communicate with external device. The 386 computer video died so I put the card and software onto a Compaq 2000 computer and got the same result. However I began to get the message that the external device was not connected. I then connected an Fm1100 radio, not expecting a favourable response, but it worked and I was able to edit the configureation and reprogram the radio. I thought I may have a bad cable on the PDP and I changed it with a spare one but still no result. Does any one have any experience of this senario. As long as I can program radios that is fine but I am puzzled as to why the PDP is not recognised.

Dave GI8LCJ
Old 22nd May 2019, 5:40 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips portable data programmer

I've had a lot of issues in the past when using more-modern computers to try and program older two-way gear.

When the first "PC-programmable" two-way radios came out in the early-1980s the support-software was designed to run on first-generation 8086/8088-based PCs with slow clock-rates [4.77MHz or 8MHz if you were lucky]. The programming of the radios was slow so time-delay loops in the software were used to let the radio 'catch-up' between each program-instruction.

These delay-loops could be something like "count from 1 to 65535" or "compute sines from 1 to 90 degrees, 1000 times".

When faster computers like 286s and 386s came on the scene these simple "compute-based" delay-loops were completed too quickly for the radio to keep-up.

Another problem - particularly when using a laptop - was that many laptops used 'custom' power-saving chipsets to drive their serial- and parallel-ports: these often flew close-to or below the official voltage-swings for RS232/V24 serial or Centronics parallel-port standards. Anything that drew significant current from the laptop's interface could pull the signal-lines down to such a low voltage that communications became unreliable.

I used to have an ancient Toshiba laptop which I kept for programming old radios [the Communique/Vertex/Standard 2000-series being at one time my stock-in-trade] but when these were legislatively-obsoleted in the late-1990s I dumped the laptop, the interface, and my remaining stock of a few dozen radios.
Old 1st Jun 2019, 3:42 pm   #3
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.
Default Re: Philips portable data programmer

Thanks for your reply, I found out why I couldn't read the PDP. It was simply 2 bad tracks on the interface board in the junction box. A couple of links from the 15 way socket down to the header fixed the problem. I thought I had a dud interface protocol card but I hope to get an ISA video card to get the 386 going to give me a backup machine.
Closed Thread