UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2019, 5:45 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Heptode

Default Decca Gypsy portable wanted for Keracolour project.

Has anyone got a 12" Decca Gypsy they would part with? The four button varicap model. I am not concerned about cosmetic condition.

The reason I ask is that I have recently obtained a Keracolor case that I think used this set for the Electronics.
It would make an ideal partner for my 26" Keracolour if I can obtain the parts to rebuild it, all I have is the empty shell and a 4 button varicap button unit.

I think the mono portable version must be far less common than the full size sets, I have never seen another and the only picture I can find online is a picture in a brochure.

If anyone does have one of these mono Keracolour sets I would also be interested in some pictures of the control layout and a picture of how the PCBs etc fit inside.

What I find annoying is that a mate of mine gave a Decca Gypsy away at the end of the NVCF a few years back as it had remained unsold. I turned it down...
Any info or offer of a set much appreciated!
Rich.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 11:27 pm   #2
Richard_FM
Heptode

Default Re: Decca Gypsy portable wanted for Keracolour project.

PM Sent
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:01 pm   #3
slidertogrid
Heptode

Many thanks to Richard for pointing one out for sale on ebay but unfortunately that set is the earlier version with a mechanical rotary tuner. So I am still looking for a varicap gypsy .

Rich.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 11:18 am   #4
Studio263
Octode

The Decca 'Viscount' was also the same set, just in a posher cabinet. One of those may also make a suitable donor.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 1:39 pm   #5
Richard_FM
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Many thanks to Richard for pointing one out for sale on ebay but unfortunately that set is the earlier version with a mechanical rotary tuner. So I am still looking for a varicap gypsy .

Rich.
Thanks I keep an eye on the sale sites in case something interesting comes up that might be of interest here.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 4:03 pm   #6
llama
Octode

I may have one. It's in the boot of my son's car at the moment (together with Neil's A774). I'll have it in a couple of weeks.
Graham
Old 4th Apr 2019, 9:03 pm   #7
slidertogrid
Heptode

Thanks for the replies. I am not in a hurry I will keep my fingers crossed that Graham has one.
I need to get the empty case cleaned up as it's a bit yellow and shows signs of someone's attempt to re polish it. I may have to respray it if it won't respond..

Rich.
Old 15th Apr 2019, 3:40 pm   #8
llama
Octode

Hi Rich,
Just got mine back at the weekend and it's a Decca Gypsy 12, model MS1212. It has 4 buttons controlling a varicap tuner.
Currently a non-worker - its scan coils were fed with audio to give Lissajous figures.
6 of its 7 brights are missing but that's par for the course, I think.
I don't think I'm passing Peterborough in the near future but I'm happy to courier it if you like. FOC.
Graham
Old 15th Apr 2019, 9:51 pm   #9
slidertogrid
Heptode

Hi Graham
That's excellent news many thanks! I am happy to pay courier costs if you don't mind packing it. Or if it can be got to the NVCF I could collect from there.
I will put a request on the Forum courier thread and see if anyone can do that if you don't mind keeping it for a while ?

Rich.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 8:58 pm   #10
slidertogrid
Heptode

Many thanks to Graham I have now got a set which is perfect for my needs. I will start a new thread once I get the restoration / reconstruction underway.

Rich.
Closed Thread