UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2008, 2:11 am   #1
Rat boy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Commodore 3000H 1979 slide controllers

Hi guys and girls!

It's been a bit quiet in this section of late, and they say use it or lose it, and just remembered a fault that I've been pestered with, with this console for ages..

It's a pong type affair, with 4 built in games, and I believe the first TTL/CMOS type affair for Commodore (but hopefully someone has more info on this rare machine);

Now, this was an XMas gift when I was young, and I recall it being returned to a B&O repair centre as a youngster, indeed, it has a ticket still attached that states that a repair was carried out in 1979..and that same fault still exists to this day to a certain extent..

The fault is right up your guys street too...the slider controls, after the computer has been stored are 'jerky' in operation, but a quick squirt with WD soon has that sorted (is that a bad thing to do??); but ONE of the controllers has always had this nervous twitch, ie the 'cursor'/bat is stationary in the middle of the screen, but flicks upto the top of the screen at random..?

Squirting with WD cures it to some extent, but it always returns, and as stated, the computer did this when new(!) - in 1978/79 - so not age related..

I'm guessing here that nobody has specific repair history on these (unless you worked for B&O), but might it be possible that there's a faulty RAM bit, or something in the controller itself...we're talking basic type electronics here, would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this!

A couple of facts about the system, the RF modulator has no sound carrier, the 'beeper' is internal, all you get through the TV is noise, and the console is labelled both in German, and English, oh, and one of the internal games was target practice using a lightgun (which I never had); I wonder how that would have worked without a seperate receiver??

Heres a link..

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/c3000h.html

Cheers!
Closed Thread