UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2004, 3:26 pm   #1
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.
Default Receiver Radio No.40A

Anyone knows anything about this receiver. Contacted the seller who said they could not find a manufacturers name. Not too interested in purchasing as price is beginning to race ahead, obviously someone knows all about it?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Paul E
Old 6th Oct 2004, 7:44 pm   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Receiver Radio No.40A

Paul,

it is an ex GPO / BT / RA measuring receiver for interference investigation. It should come with a front cover and a number of aerials of different lengths and types.

Jim.
Old 7th Oct 2004, 8:04 am   #3
Linux_Dave
Retired Dormant Member

As jim_beacon says, it's an ex-BT interference measuring receiver, made in the late seventies/early eighties by Eddystone. It's a few years since I had one to play with, but it's a very nicely made set with a couple of superb precision attenuators at the front end, and the usual Eddystone spin-wheel tuning and clear dial.

As I recall, it covered LF to 30 Mhz in six or seven ranges, with a seperate switched RF/Mixer/Oscillator module for each, based around 40673 Mosfets and DBM ics. The IF stage is a couple of SL612s and another 40673, feeding into a TBA800 audio amp. There is also a fixed-tuned BFO.

Overall, a very nice receiver, but I'm not sure it's really worth the sale price. The biggest disadvantage is the fixed IF bandwidth (9Khz, with a 1.75Mhz crystal filter), and it's also quite difficult to modify. Apart from the RF modules, most other components are on one large PCB, from which the copper peels alarmingly quickly if you're not too quick with the soldering iron - as I found out...

Anyway, I hope this has helped.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 7th Oct 2004, 9:00 am   #4
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Thanks Jim and Dave.
Might have been interested if I had known it was Eddystone built, being a member of the Eddystone user group. Could not place what it was from the picture and as I said seller could not finf a manufacturer name.
Paul E
Closed Thread