UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2019, 10:29 am   #1
Test Desk
Tetrode

Default Rare user control?

As a child in the fifties, I recall my Aunt used to get me to adjust her 405 line set whenever she had the usual problems of horizontal or vertical hold. Now, I don't remember the make/ model but uniquely ( in my experience) this set had a spindle projecting from the rear of the tube bulge which could be unscrewed a few turns and then used like a joystick to affect where the picture landed on the tube. Was this adjustment really necessary? Furthermore, am I right in thinking the continual adjustment to H and V hold was caused by a weak signal from the indoor aerials employed in our "two up two down" houses. Very few people could spare the cash for an external aerial and most used the hemispherical indoor aerial that had two ball- jointed antennae very reminiscent of half a Sputnik.
Old 17th Dec 2019, 10:47 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Rare user control?

Sounds like a Murphy V310 series. Once set this was locked by tightening the spindle. It was the picture centering control that adjusted the picture within the screen area. Once set it did not require further adjustment until the picture tube was replaced. John.
[PS I think you just like playing with it.]

This one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy V310 (1).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	195499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy V310 (2).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	195500  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 17th Dec 2019 at 11:03 am.
Old 17th Dec 2019, 12:11 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Rare user control?

Hi,
But, why would it be brought out as a user control?
It's usually the focus lever that's accessible just above the 'blister'.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 18th Dec 2019, 10:27 am   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Murphy madness! Maybe due to the construction of this barrel model it would be a pain to remove the cabinet to make a simple shift adjustment. Once locked it was very rarely fiddled by the customer. The focus control is the plastic dome below it. It twisted either way for optimum focus' John.
Old 18th Dec 2019, 10:48 am   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Murphy madness! Maybe due to the construction of this barrel model it would be a pain to remove the cabinet to make a simple shift adjustment.
I have yet to get to grips with my V310, certainly an odd set, but capable of excellent results.
I had one as a bedroom set back in the seventies, so jumped at the chance of getting my present set, it does work, but will require the usual capacitor replacement.
I just love the 'Sound mirror' lid over the controls and the fact you need a 2 foot knitting needle to adjust the fine tuning more Murphy madness....

Mark
Old 19th Dec 2019, 10:05 am   #6
Test Desk
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Sounds like a Murphy V310 series. Once set this was locked by tightening the spindle. It was the picture centering control that adjusted the picture within the screen area. Once set it did not require further adjustment until the picture tube was replaced. John.
[PS I think you just like playing with it.]

This one?
That's the one and yes, i did like playing with it! Spot on, and I never thought I'd see one again after 57 years, but it's the image I had in my head. Thanks.

Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:16 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Just to complete the nostalgia. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V310.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	195595  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:27 am   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I hate trying to adjust that control! Moving the stick seems to have a totally random and unpredictable effect on the position of the picture. I always feel like I'm in that scene from Apollo 13 where they have to manually fire the engines, correct their course and then quickly shut everything down before planet Earth disappears from the spaceship's window

Regards
David
Closed Thread