UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2010, 10:54 am   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Cleaning a Philips Disc Jockey Major

Hello all

This little Philips record player was filthy when I acquired it- I don't know what people do with them! The cabinet finish is best described as 'faux snakeskin' and has responded reasonably well to my usual method of green Fairy soap, a little warm water and a soft nail brush. It still looks a bit patchy however and I am never sure how far to go with this type of finish. If you go too far you are in danger of removing the pattern all together and end up with unsightly off-white 'bald patches'. I made this mistake last time I owned one of these when I was about 16!

Anyone have any tips on cleaning this type of finish?

Cheers
Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0163.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	32592   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0165.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	32593  
Old 14th Feb 2010, 12:33 pm   #2
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Cleaning a Philips Disc Jockey Major

Hi Steve

I would consider using some of the car products like upholstery or dashboard cleaner, try on a small part first. Or one of the foam cleaners.

Geof
Old 14th Feb 2010, 2:08 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cleaning a Philips Disc Jockey Major

The foam cleaner sold in pound shops as car wheel cleaner is usually very effective and safe on these finishes. Do try it on an invisible area first though!
Old 15th Feb 2010, 9:18 pm   #4
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: Cleaning a Philips Disc Jockey Major

Ah, the wonders of the Pound Shop! I will acquire the magic stuff and report back on the results.

Thanks to both you chaps for the replies.

Steve
Closed Thread