UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2014, 12:05 am   #1
whyperion
Hexode

Default Two off Pye ? Valve Radios c1960 Wath Charity Shop

Noted In Wath, South Yorkshire middle of last week BARC charity shop in window, a couple of wooden case LW.MW.SW radios, described as working and £25 each, which seems a fair price.

Might be worth giving them a call. Sorry I did not note models or get pics as was late evening.

One was similar to one in my family that got donated to a charity years ago: in a square box, darker wood, three SW bands noted on it.
The other was the more rounded front edge in a lighter finish where the grain of wood runs vertically, with a brass type speaker grille (slight damage to that noted), again had one in the family which I why I noticed each of them.

Too many for me to fit in the smaller garage but someone might find of interest.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 21st Apr 2014 at 9:26 am. Reason: Breathless!
Old 14th May 2014, 5:03 pm   #2
whyperion
Hexode

Default Re: Two off Pye ? Valve Radios c1960 Wath Charity Shop

Couple of corrections , as still in shop of yesterday, price was £40 each ( bit over top but sold as tested , working ) and one is a Regetone, not Pye.
Old 16th May 2014, 11:19 am   #3
threeseven
Octode

They won't sell them at that price, there are any number of similar sets on ebay that go for as little as 99p.
Old 16th May 2014, 11:34 am   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Last year my local charity shop had a mid 50's Philips radiogram in the window with £75 on it
I was amazed that they managed to sell it for the asking price within two days!

I bought my 1961 Bush stereogram locally via ebay for £1.04 which is in better condition and working.

Mark
Old 16th May 2014, 1:17 pm   #5
threeseven
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
Last year my local charity shop had a mid 50's Philips radiogram in the window with £75 on it
I was amazed that they managed to sell it for the asking price within two days!
That makes two of us Utterly incredible Wonder what demographic is at work there?
Old 16th May 2014, 3:10 pm   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

I must admit I was quite interested in why someone would pay that much for it.
It certainly was nothing special, although the cabinet was in nice condition, it was sold as 'untested' with no plug attached.

I am just waiting for them to get a Beau Decca, I would have no hesitation giving them £75 for that

Mark
Old 16th May 2014, 6:54 pm   #7
Dickie
Octode

Don't forget the "charity" factor. Some of us are quite happy to pay over the odds if its going to charity. But £75 is rather generous

Richard, BVWS member

Last edited by Dickie; 16th May 2014 at 7:04 pm.
Closed Thread