UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2014, 5:17 pm   #1
everyday
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferguson 3220 copying to computer

Hi - My first post!

We've got an old Ferguson 3220 reel to reel from the mid 60s and have tapes we want to copy onto PC (I have Dell Dimension 3000 with a blue line input socket). The Ferguson has two outputs - L.S. and RAD. From looking at other threads it would appear that the RAD output is the one to us - the question is what cable do I need to connect the Ferguson to the PC? Grateful for any assistance.

Thanks
Old 28th Jan 2014, 6:03 pm   #2
llama
Octode

Default Re: Ferguson 3220 copying to computer

Welcome!
Can you tell us a little about your technical expertise, please? That'll help us guide you through the various steps.
I'd double check that Rad is an output rather than a line level input.
Regards
Graham
Old 28th Jan 2014, 6:48 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Ferguson 3220 copying to computer

Hi,
'Rad' is a line input to allow recording from a radio reciever, not an output.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 28th Jan 2014, 7:01 pm   #4
everyday
Retired Dormant Member

There is a RAD on the inputs and one on the outputs.

Just to add - I've no experience of mending machines; however this is playing fine. I'm familiar with Audacity so I've no problems at the PC end. I just need to makes sure I'm using the right cable connector at the tape end, and also that it's the right kind of cable. The similar thread that I read was
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=80903http://
which seemed to imply that if you had a LS and a RAD output, you used the latter.

Thanks
Old 28th Jan 2014, 8:35 pm   #5
paulsherwin

You need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack on one end and a pair of phono plugs on the other. The recorder will only provide a mono signal so you will record this on one channel and noise or nothing on the other. Once this is done it's easy enough in Audacity to convert the mono track to stereo for burning to a CD. Poundland normally sell suitable cables.

This is a very basic domestic tape recorder, and if these recordings are important to you, it may be better to pay someone to digitize them for you. The cost may be quite moderate if you only need to transfer a couple of tapes. A forum member may be prepared to do this for you.
Old 29th Jan 2014, 10:13 am   #6
ricard
Octode

We should really have a FAQ page with an answer to this type of question, with descriptions on how to wire the cables if the recorder has DIN cables, and which connection to use.
Old 29th Jan 2014, 10:44 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

It's been years since I've owned one, but didn't these use the older 'long reach' phonos?

Great idea on the sticky, BTW - I don't mind volunteering to contribute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phono b.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	88383  
Old 29th Jan 2014, 2:59 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

I took the bull by the horns and produced a 'first steps guide' as I had a bit of free time - hope it is useful!
Old 29th Jan 2014, 8:14 pm   #9
everyday
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all your replies. I've got a cable with a 3.5 jack on one end and 2 male audio on the other; so I'll go to my local pound shop tomorrow and get a female to 3.5 cable to connect to the PC and then cross my fingers. (I did copy cassette tapes onto my PC years ago but not sure which cables I used then - different PC).
Old 31st Jan 2014, 12:27 am   #10
everyday
Retired Dormant Member

I went and bought a "3.5mm jack to 2 socket cable" but the two outputs from my other cable only go in these sockets very loosely. Have I gone wrong somewhere?
Old 31st Jan 2014, 9:29 am   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Let's have a picture of the connectors that fit each other very loosely then we can advise further.

Thanksl.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 12:42 pm   #12
everyday
Retired Dormant Member

Two photos attached (I hope) one of the two cables, one of the back of the recorder. The grey cable is the one I've always had and which I think I used to copy from my tape deck to the PC.

As well as the cables not connecting very well, neither 3.5mm jack seems to go into the RAD hole very well. Is it possible to get a 3.5 to 3.5 cable to just link the recorder straight to the line in on the PC?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011516.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	88459   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011517.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	88460  
Old 31st Jan 2014, 1:24 pm   #13
Station X

Assuming the RAD sockets are of the Phono or RCA type, there's no way you'll get a 3.5mm jack plug to fit them.

The grey cable should work on its own, but as previously stated you may need Phono plugs with long centre pins.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 3:53 pm   #14
everyday
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks - should this sort of thing do the trick, and then I could connect my grey cable to the PC?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCA-PHONO-...item53ec65f1b5
Old 31st Jan 2014, 4:39 pm   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'm a bit confused!

Presumably, you're trying to plug the red or white phono plugs into the tape machine, and the grey 3.5mm jack plug into the PC?

In which case, how does the black male-to-female lead fit in?

Do the red and white plugs fit snugly into the tape machine's sockets, as they should?

Nick.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 4:44 pm   #16
Station X

I wondered that too Nick.

As far as I can see the grey cable will be perfectly OK on its own, only one Phono pug being used. That Phono plug may need replacing with one having a long centre pin. Phono plug goes into the output socket on the tape recorder and 3.5mm plug goes into the PC input. The OP will also need to take into account Paul Sherwin's comments in post #5.

Quote:
You need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack on one end and a pair of phono plugs on the other. The recorder will only provide a mono signal so you will record this on one channel and noise or nothing on the other. Once this is done it's easy enough in Audacity to convert the mono track to stereo for burning to a CD.
Alternatively a cable with a Phono plug on one end and a 3.5mm plug on the other could be used.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 4:51 pm   #17
everyday
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Presumably, you're trying to plug the red or white phono plugs into the tape machine, and the grey 3.5mm jack plug into the PC?
Actually I was trying to get the 3.5mm plug into the tape recorder, then connect the 2 phono males to a 2 female phono with a 3.4mm on the other end of that to go into the PC line in socket!
Old 31st Jan 2014, 7:05 pm   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Ah, that won't work!

The tape recorder accepts phono plugs, but as Ben points out in post 7, you may possibly need the old-style, extra long version. Usually however, the shorter kind will work if pushed in firmly.

N,
Closed Thread