UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2021, 10:56 am   #21
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Does this 1960s hairdryer contain asbestos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
is it really the Neutral (black) conductor of the flex that is connected through the on/off switch?
It looks to me as though the red (line) lead is going to the switch, while the black (neutral) crosses over it encased in the sleeving, emerging as two leads - one to the fan and one to the heater (one of which is confusingly coloured red).
Old 17th May 2021, 10:37 pm   #22
kirstyd
Heptode

I have an hot air paint stripper that has a lower wattage than my daughter's hairdryer and it's much quieter.
Old 18th May 2021, 6:30 am   #23
ortek_service
Octode

I think my parents have still got a very similar hairdryer to that one. Although there's had a thermal cut-out reset button near the nozzle. The also had a pipe and a hood-cap + stand for it, to convert it (for doing perms?).

The only places I know asbestos was used on Domestic equipment, was the heat pad on old Beldray etc Ironing boards (they've also still got) and 'brake' pads (like in car ones for many years) used as a primitive shock absorber on old Indesit etc. washing machines (which I didn't know about, when I had one).

More worrying, is where it is used in fibrous-forms, like it seems the white felt pads used at the end of dropper-resistors in valve radio contains asbestos as well as much-larger versions of this insulation material used in Gas fires and storage heaters (as well as within wall spaces of many classrooms most of us were in for years).

But about the worst place to put it was probably within wartime Gas Masks!
It only took 100years to completely stop it being used, from when it first started being used with the dangers found soon after from those working in the factories.
Old 18th May 2021, 6:35 am   #24
G.Castle
Heptode

Two of the worst uses originally was table cloths and handkerchiefs.
Old 18th May 2021, 10:48 am   #25
Refugee
Dekatron

Pipe and boiler lagging was pretty bad too.
I can remember it when they did the school boiler in the early 1970s.
It was blowing about in the yard for weeks.
Old 18th May 2021, 11:08 am   #26
Cobaltblue

Can we get back on topic please, lagging and hankies have little to do with this hairdryer.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th May 2021, 3:30 pm   #27

Both neutral and line are considered live conductors, so it doesn't matter which way they are connected to a piece of safe equipment like this hairdryer.

Closed Thread