UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2015, 4:14 pm   #1
neosodium
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferguson model 3292 ignoring tapes

Hello folks, I know this machine was sold under many names but was basically a JVC model. The problem is hopefully fairly straightforward to fix or at least known as presumably they all have the same exact tape mechanism in them.

When any of the tape function keys (play, rewind, ff) are pressed, they simply pop back out even when a tape is installed. Both motors work and if the tape pickup mechanism is moved slightly to engage the microswitch that starts up the head motor the other motor will also run.

It seems like whatever is meant to detect the presence of a tape in the unit is not doing so. Looking on other threads I see the mention of a cassette sensor lamp but surely if the lamp failed it would think there was always a tape inside as the tape would normally block the lamp?
Old 10th Feb 2015, 4:37 pm   #2
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default Re: ferguson model 3292 ignoring tapes

The lamp filament is in the biasing network of a transistor in the auto shut off mechanism; this is to stop exactly the effect you supposed i.e. that no light meant a tape. If this situation were allowed then the clear leader at the tape ends would be ignored and the machine would happily rip the tape off the hubs. It is a small peanut bulb mounted in the little black 'lighthouse' between the hubs. There was an infra-red led mod to get over the bulb failure prob but personally, as they used to last years, I preferred to just change the bulb
Old 10th Feb 2015, 5:04 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: ferguson model 3292 ignoring tapes

Hi,
That's caught me out a time or two. As Nick says, when the lamp fails, it stops drawing current, therefore the system 'knows' that the lamp has failed. Clever!
Cheers, Pete.
Old 10th Feb 2015, 6:04 pm   #4
neosodium
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ferguson model 3292 ignoring tapes

That's quite clever, though it would be more clever if it indicated to the user the failure and the lamp was a plug in component not a tiny bulb buried in a lighthouse and hard wired (I found it now)

Where would I find a replacement lamp and does anyone have details on the LED modification? Surely a standard LED would be no use as it would shine "up" rather than to the sides?

I'd really like to see if this thing still plays tapes
Old 10th Feb 2015, 6:49 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I think that the LED modification was for later models, such as the 3V29/30 etc. although the mod kit is available here (I have no association with the vendor) and may well be suitable as I think that the lamp mountings were the same in a lot of these machines.

Regards

Andrew
Old 10th Feb 2015, 6:59 pm   #6
Focus Diode
Octode

I've seen the later 3V29 type machine modified to take an LED, only problem with this is the tape housing no longer lights up which is a good aid with these top loader machines to actually see the tape in motion and how much remains. Having said that an LED conversion would be more reliable.

Brian
Old 10th Feb 2015, 7:55 pm   #7
nigelr2000
Heptode

That was a nice little earner in the old days.

Almost guaranteed a couple of lamp changes a day - we only fitted the infra red mod to the rental machines for that reason.
Old 10th Feb 2015, 9:46 pm   #8
Hampus
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode
I've seen the later 3V29 type machine modified to take an LED, only problem with this is the tape housing no longer lights up which is a good aid with these top loader machines to actually see the tape in motion and how much remains. Having said that an LED conversion would be more reliable.
Would it be possible to use a LED that emit visible light? Or does the sensor only respond to infrared light? I suppose the original filament lamp was a bit under-run and producing quite a bit of IR.
Old 10th Feb 2015, 9:55 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Happy days , cassette lamps and loading belts!
Old 10th Feb 2015, 11:32 pm   #10
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I've mentioned this sometime ago. The first allocation to my shop of a Ferguson 3292 was late 1978. Everyone liked the idea of a machine that would record TV programs but at £630 there were no takers that year. In fact it was February the next year until the machine was sold. The customer was delighted with the machine but a few months later I received a service call, the function keys would not latch down. After working my way through the logic, lots of TTL, there is no micro computer in this machine the fault was found. Of we all know what the problem is now, it was the lamp! A 12 volt lilliput bulb was fitted and all was well.
The 3V00 is a development of the 3292 and has a number of improvements including a special microcontroller for the function keys logic.
Best of all the JVC/Ferguson mechanical VCRs is the 3V16.

DFWB.
Old 11th Feb 2015, 2:45 am   #11
neosodium
Retired Dormant Member

I will get that LED modification provided it will fit. If not, where can I find the tiny lamp this VCR uses? I tried searching "peanut bulb" and "lilliput bulb" on eBay but nothing comes up that matches it.
Old 11th Feb 2015, 9:15 am   #12
nigelr2000
Heptode

This lot still have them but at an eye watering price
http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/elec...-with-plug.htm
Old 11th Feb 2015, 9:45 am   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The originals were 9V, 80mA, weren't they?
Old 11th Feb 2015, 10:50 am   #14
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Nick,
Can't remember. The full Ferguson service manual is in the shop somewhere. Also, in the shop there is a good number of spare cassette lamps.

DFWB.
Old 11th Feb 2015, 11:19 am   #15
Nicklyons2
Octode

I think they were originally a bit less than 12V but they have a series resistor. In the end I used 12V ones and if needed slightly adjusted the series resistor but most times the 12V ones worked fine - plenty bright enough for the optical pick-up. Farnells 113-9294 113-9471 are the sort of thing. You'll need the 'tails' off the old lamp and make sure the filament is lined up to shine through the 'lighthouse' window to its best extent.
Old 11th Feb 2015, 11:35 am   #16
bc312
Pentode

I have one of these spare if any use - was for a VCR but cannot remember the model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0858.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	103981  

BVWS member, EUG, G-QRP
Radio Bygones/Radiophile
Old 11th Feb 2015, 11:40 am   #17
Nicklyons2
Octode

That looks like the actual fully legit replacement - even to the colour of lead.
Old 11th Feb 2015, 12:49 pm   #18
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

That is the correct lamp.
Some had a small plug on them, that was the difference.
Old 11th Feb 2015, 4:18 pm   #19
neosodium
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc312 View Post
I have one of these spare if any use - was for a VCR but cannot remember the model.
That looks just like the one that came out, though the white plastic/rubber retainer was stuck so firmly I had to dig it out with a screwdriver to free the bulb.

Would definitely be interested as it would be the simplest fix possible
Old 11th Feb 2015, 4:49 pm   #20
bc312
Pentode

PM me your details and I'll pop in the post.
Mike

BVWS member, EUG, G-QRP
Radio Bygones/Radiophile
Closed Thread