UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2017, 7:13 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Compaq EVO N110 Drivers Reqd. Anyone?

I've just done a clean install of WinME on an old Compaq EVO N110 notebook, and I've downloaded and installed successfully most of the necessary drivers.

However... I can't get hold of either the PCI Ethernet Controller drivers or the PCI Serial Controller drivers. I've looked around the Internet and tried various discs to no avail.

Has anyone got a similar machine running Win ME (or Win2000) they would care to copy the appropriate drivers from and e-mail me them, please?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 17th Aug 2017, 9:59 pm   #2
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Compaq EVO N110 Drivers Reqd. Anyone?

Windows 2000 drivers won't be any use to you for Windows ME - ME was the last MSDOS-based Windows, while Windows 2000 is based on Windows NT.

Windows ME drivers are available for this machine here. If you can't find the driver in the list for ME, try Windows 98.

I've attached the specs for this machine if you're interested - the HPE Product Bulletin software that HP/HPE parters can get goes back a long way
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Compaq Evo Notebook N110.pdf (637.4 KB, 112 views)
Old 17th Aug 2017, 10:15 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Thanks for that, arjoll.

That's the site I used, and I tried the network drivers to no avail. When I go on to 'Device Mangler' I get the exclamation marks for PCI Ethernet Controller and PCI Serial Controller under a question mark for 'Other Devices'. And what does 'Code 28' mean?

Thanks again for the specs, too. Haven't got those. My machine has a sticker on for Win ME and W2000 - I'd forgotten about the parting-of-the-waves for OS architecture.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 5:42 am   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

If you've loaded the Intel network driver from HP that should take care of the network, as long as you are using the built-in networking. Just check that you don't have a PC Card adapter instead - check the slot. If you do have a card in there, then you'll need to grab the driver from that vendor.

In more modern HP laptops the serial adapter can be to do with the Intel Management Engine, but it could be anything in something that old!
Old 18th Aug 2017, 8:04 am   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

If you have two spare USB memory sticks, you can put a live Linux distribution (which will almost certainly include its own suitable drivers for pretty much all hardware ever made up to the time it was released, although they won't work with Windows) on one of them, and use that to identify the hardware (lspci -n will show the manufacturer and model hex codes, which can be searched on) and download the correct drivers for your Windows version onto the other one.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 9:15 am   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

There is indeed a PC card in there - it slides into a single-edge mount a bit bigger than that of a memory slot, but the same sort of idea, and there is a two-pin plug to remove on the other edge.

I withdrew the card and the queries in Device Manager cleared. So it was the right card. I couldn't see a manufacturer's name on it but there were some numbers on some of the chips. I'll photograph it tonight - it's easy enough to remove. When I refitted the card the Device Manager queries came back.

Would it be worth deleting the PCI devices from the Device Manager, removing the card, firing up, closing down, refitting the PC card and seeing what happens? When I first had Win 95 (then Win ME) back in the day I used to bimble about doing that sort of thing, and, as if by magic, things used to start working. We've become rather spoilt with Win 7 and 10, I think.

Julie - that sounds like a plan: thanks.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 11:22 am   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post

Would it be worth deleting the PCI devices from the Device Manager, removing the card, firing up, closing down, refitting the PC card and seeing what happens?
Just done that: no difference.

The card is made by Ambit Microsystems Corp and exhibits the following numbers:-

What looks to be the main processor is marked: GD82559C L1511A23.

The adjacent chipset says Pulse H0011 0148-J

On the other side of the PCI network / MODEM card are some stickers with barcodes on them and the following numbers:

230338-001 followed by CT:G469301HMMU0BR followed by 225643-001. Beneath this it says 'Spares'.

The other stickers have 00D059817B19 on one of them and U98M010.01 0201115-1c on the other.

Some deep Googling is necessary, I think. There are Ambit drivers out there, but which one?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 1:52 pm   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Sorted! Almost...

I found an olde diske at work called 'Drivers and Utilities' and there was a suitable driver on there.

Now all I have to locate is a driver for a PCI serial controller.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 20th Aug 2017, 3:58 am   #9
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
There is indeed a PC card in there - it slides into a single-edge mount a bit bigger than that of a memory slot, but the same sort of idea, and there is a two-pin plug to remove on the other edge.
I was meaning a PCMCIA/PC Card/CardBus card, not a board - it sounds like you've found the combined NIC/Modem card referred to in the Quickspecs though, so that's something.

Quote:
230338-001 followed by CT:G469301HMMU0BR followed by 225643-001. Beneath this it says 'Spares'.
That's the most useful code you'll find - the Compaq part number, followed by the Compaq spares part number

That spare is shared with the Evo N400c - it would be worth checking HP's website for drivers for that model, although it's highly likely this was the original part and should work with the drivers for the N110.

Quote:
Now all I have to locate is a driver for a PCI serial controller.
That will be the modem. I should have clicked to that earlier, but it's a long time since I've had to worry about modem drivers! Have you installed the modem driver from HP?
Old 20th Aug 2017, 2:19 pm   #10
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
That will be the modem. I should have clicked to that earlier, but it's a long time since I've had to worry about modem drivers! Have you installed the modem driver from HP?
Thanks for all that, arjoll; appreciated. I'll try to locate a suitable HP modem driver and give it a go. It is a NIC / Modem card, of which there are several on eBay. The driver I got the ethernet going with is the Intel(R) PRO/100 Mobile Combo Adapter. Goes online OK anyway (IE5.5) although some sites won't work. I don't intend using it online, but would like it right, as it were...

I used to run Ubuntu on a laptop a few years ago and reverted to WinXP, but I could always have a play with that again. I'm sure there's a version will go onto the machine satisfactorily. I'll Ghost it up first, though.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 20th Aug 2017, 4:47 pm   #11
russell_w_b
Dekatron

HP Modem drivers installed. Sorted! Thank you.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 20th Aug 2017, 6:25 pm   #12
Records
Hexode

That takes me back i was just looking at the specs for that laptop and saw the graphics
Trident Cyberblade, i had the same graphics in a Compaq desktop i bought new running windows 98, Time passes by so quickly, those where the days when Compaq where Compaq and not a cheap name used by HP as they are now,
Old 20th Aug 2017, 6:33 pm   #13
russell_w_b
Dekatron

It seems a decent, well-put together machine. I remember when dad bought it and he spent ages seeking advice and pondering on what to buy that would last.

Trouble is, 'what would last' is very quickly overcome by the technology within...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 20th Aug 2017, 10:35 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Records View Post
Time passes by so quickly, those where the days when Compaq where Compaq and not a cheap name used by HP as they are now,
From Wikipedia: Compaq (a portmanteau of Compatibility And Quality; occasionally referred to as CQ prior to its final logo) was a company founded in 1982 that developed, sold, and supported computers and related products and services. Compaq produced some of the first IBM PC compatible computers, being the first company to legally reverse engineer the IBM Personal Computer.[1][2] It rose to become the largest supplier of PC systems during the 1990s before being overtaken by HP in 2001.[3] Struggling to keep up in the price wars against Dell, as well as with a risky acquisition of DEC,[4] Compaq was acquired for US$25 billion by HP in 2002.[5][6] The Compaq brand remained in use by HP for lower-end systems until 2013 when it was discontinued.[7]
Closed Thread