UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2018, 10:19 am   #1

Default Any idea/ solution to replace the 3 avo rubber pieces in the back of the case

Excuse me but i do not know the name in english of the 3 rubber pieces at the back of the AVO, in Spanish we call it "patas" "legs", but i do not want to confuse more than necessary (remember the suspender/braces post jajaja)

So, that pieces are attached o the case by rivets, and usually are missing or in very bad condition due to the age.

Could you tell me any solution to replace them and where to find anything similar?

Thanks,

Aitor

Old 15th Dec 2018, 11:51 am   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Any idea/ solution to replace the 3 avo rubber pieces in the back of the case

Hello Aitor,

Here in the UK we call them "Feet".

You should be able to find some cabinet feet in a DIY (Do It Yourself) store.

If not a motor vehicle spares store (like Halfords here in the UK) may have some rubber grommets that could be used held in place with screws and suitable washers.

(I know an Aitor, my niece's partner, they live near Alicante).
Old 15th Dec 2018, 12:08 pm   #3

Default Re: Any idea/ solution to replace the 3 avo rubber pieces in the back of the case

Thanks very much.

Aitor is a basque name. Nowadays used in all Spain

Old 15th Dec 2018, 2:33 pm   #4

I found these on a well known auction site

5 mm high
15 mm diameter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2018-12-15 a las 13.31.10.png
Views:	48
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	174653  

Old 16th Dec 2018, 12:28 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

Those look as though they might be a good fit.

The originals had a layer of bonded fabric to avoid the feet pulling off the rivet during rough handling, but they are treating with more respect these days so solid feet of modern plastic/rubber without the reinforcing should be OK.

The rivets are quite hard steel and it is easy to damage the bakelite case when removing or installing them. Replacing them with a nut and shallow-head or countersink screw is not really an option as there is limited clearance inside the meter and the safety at very high voltage can be reduced.

Dave
Old 16th Dec 2018, 12:38 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Replacing them with a nut and shallow-head or countersink screw is not really an option as there is limited clearance inside the meter and the safety at very high voltage can be reduced.

Dave
Yes, there is fe space in that zone. I will use rivets. I recomend to use rivets, but in case somebody can not find them, a good idea could be to use a small screw with the flatter nut available and then a few epoxi to insulate it.

Old 17th Dec 2018, 11:28 am   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

That would be a "half nut" and some "screwlock" in colloquial English........ a half nut is just what it sounds like- a nut that's half the thickness of a standard nut!
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread