UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2018, 12:13 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Royal Wootton Bassett Sun 9th Dec!

The final BVWS event of a busy 2018 is the Royal Wooton Bassett swap meet and auction on Sunday 9th December.

There will be around 30 stalls selling not only sets but all the spares, bits and pieces that you'll need for those dark winter evenings in the workshop! The usual Bring & Buy stall will be in operation in the side annex as usual for those who still wish to bring things to sell.

All the usual hot drinks and food will be available throughout the day and of course the customary Mince pie at the door!

The BVWS table will have good stocks of capacitors, all those old fashioned values and in dimensions that modern suppliers don't stock any more! And De-oxit at lower that on line prices...

Everyone is welcome to visit, but only BVWS members can participate in the auction. However you may decide to join up on the day which will be possible. Or why not take the opportunity to renew your BVWS membership for 2019 while you are there? Payments by debit/credit cards gladly accepted at the BVWS stall!

Stall holder entry is at 9.30, general entry at 10.00. Auction start sometime between 12.30 and 1.00 (tbc) - there will be 300 lots!

See the BVWS website for directions: details.https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php

An auction list with photos will be published here a few days before the event...

See you there..

PS: (Mike has started the process of lotting up for the auction and there is so much stuff that we will be holding an extra 'auction only' event at RWB on Sun 3rd February 2019).

See you there, too...

BVWS committee chairman
Old 25th Nov 2018, 4:21 pm   #2
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: Royal Wootton Bassett Sun 9th Dec!

Hi Greg, looking forward to it as always - This is my favourite event of the year, also really looking forward to the auction only event in February too!

Cheers
Lee
Old 25th Nov 2018, 11:43 pm   #3
audiomagpie
Heptode

And your help on stage is always very much appreciated Lee! Look forward to seeing you...

BVWS committee chairman
Old 26th Nov 2018, 10:47 am   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I am hoping to be there as usual too, but will confirm a few days before. I always really enjoy the RWB events.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 26th Nov 2018, 11:50 am   #5
electronicskip
Nonode

I am also going to try to attend for the first time as its not a million miles away from Gloucester.
I'm not a member but I might be persuaded to join if there are some nice lots on sale that I would be interested in to bid on.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 1:50 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes it is very convenient from Gloucester, just along the M4.

You can have a look at some of the recent Bulletins on the BVWS stall too, to see the quality and style of the publication that you receive with membership. If you joined on the day it would be 2019 membership and you would still be able to bid in the auction.

Credit/debit cards are accepted for membership, auction items and anything from the BVWS stall. Most other stallholders will be cash only, as are the refreshments, but there are several free cash machines just a few minutes walk away in the town centre. Door entry is also cash only.

Paul Stenning
Old 26th Nov 2018, 4:09 pm   #7
ajs37
Heptode

Have a great time everyone - Regretfully, I can't attend as I have visitors all weekend, so various family activities are planned
Cheers
Andy
Old 26th Nov 2018, 4:17 pm   #8
Bobdger
Hexode

I am also going to try to attend for the first time, only about 1½ hours away from here. Hope to be bring Peter as well. Bob.
Old 30th Nov 2018, 10:30 am   #9
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Although I am not after anything but I do hope to attend as I do enjoy attending both RWB events so much.
Sadly I cannot say with any certainty if I can make it or not as my wife's long on going health issues seem to be coming to a head.
Old 30th Nov 2018, 11:17 am   #10
Boulevardier
Octode

I'll be able to attend for the first time too - thanks to a lift from Bristol from Jerry (cathoderay57). WB isn't easy to get to via public transport at the best of times, and forget about it on a Sunday - even from a "local" transport hub like Bristol. Bringing an ailing scope for turretslug, and looking forward to meeting people.

Mike
Old 30th Nov 2018, 11:55 am   #11
Cobaltblue

Also my favourite venue and the closest

You'll find me on the B&B with Barrie and Mike

Just a reminder if you put items on the B&B and they don't sell you must take them away even if they were being donated to museum or BVWS funds, we simply cannot store or transport these items sadly.

Looking forward to a great event.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 11:49 am   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Other than the NVCF, to which, as a non-driver, I can travel by public transport, there seem to be few, if any, Radio-related events, in nearby places such as Banbury, Oxford , or Stratford upon Avon (unless anyone knows differently, that is!) RWB is not really a practical destination for me, as it would involve three buses and take probably as many hours in each direction.
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 12:15 pm   #13
Cobaltblue

I do sympathise with Livewire but with public transport access comes a double whammy normally, namely increased venue costs and lack of free parking.

I know that the BVWS has been struggling to find a venue to replace Harpenden which is accessible by train. Wouldn't care to go by train from say Birmingham through, but I have done it from central London a couple of times.

Unless the venue is a hub location public transport will always be an issue.

NVCF is a much broader event which can support the additional costs.

Let's hope the replacement for Harpy will be accessible.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 3:01 pm   #14
greenstar
Octode

There is always the option of a request on this forum for a lift. I take a passenger to many events, which has made them more affordable, enjoyable and made a good friend into the bargain. I started by a request for a passenger.
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 3:02 pm   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

We do include the public transport options on the BVWS website now (following a similar discussion on here previously). See https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php

As noted, RWB is a 15 minute taxi ride from Swindon railway station which isn't too bad. Maybe a forum member travelling from that direction could give you a lift?

Harpenden is close to the railway station so is probably the best option for public transport travel.

The problem is that any town/city centre location with good road links, adequate parking, good public transport links and availability all day Sunday would be prohibitively expensive. It would probably be things like hotel function rooms which are not really suitable for our grubby old equipment either.

The committee are always open to suggestions for suitable venues however, especially as a replacement for Harpenden. However we cannot magically produce something that does not exist!

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 5:20 pm   #16
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The preliminary auction catalogue and photos of many of the lots are now on the BVWS website here https://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/pho...ootton-bassett The catalogue is also attached.

Note that there are a further 20 lots to be added. Please keep an eye on the website and this thread for the final catalogue later in the week.

EDIT 05/12/2018: Catalogue removed, final catalogue now attached to post #23

Paul Stenning

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 5th Dec 2018 at 4:51 pm. Reason: Attachment removed, note added
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 5:41 pm   #17
Cobaltblue

Thanks Paul and of course Mike.

Have a look shortly

Cheers

Mike T
Old 4th Dec 2018, 2:16 pm   #18
Mister35mm
Diode

Is anyone posting the bring and buy forms so that I bring them completed?
Old 4th Dec 2018, 3:19 pm   #19
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Unfortunately I can't get there this weekend as I have a lot to do here for my flat move. I will see you all at the auction in February though.

Paul Stenning
Old 4th Dec 2018, 4:53 pm   #20
Pamphonica
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister35mm View Post
Is anyone posting the bring and buy forms so that I bring them completed?

The B&B is run differently at RWB, so no forms are needed. I think you just fill in a small slip which is attached to the item.

One of the RWB B&B crew may be able to clarify.
Closed Thread