UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2018, 7:25 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Amateur Radio Gear

Just a note to make you aware of a new amateur radio and associated components shop near Newcastle, called "Canny Components". They can be found in Felling, in the Gateshead area of Newcastle upon Tyne, and also at the local radio rallies. Good service and very helpful. They fill a gap around these parts, particularly with radio gear supplies.
Alan.
M1CEU.
Old 7th Nov 2018, 8:18 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Amateur Radio Gear

Can't seem to find a website, which is a serious omission in these online-shopping days.
Old 7th Nov 2018, 9:26 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

They don't seem to have a website, but they're on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Canny-Compo...3600262173003/

Their recently opened shop is located at 88 Felling High Street, Gateshead.

They're a husband an wife team - a very pleasant couple - who seem to do most of their trade at radio rallies and visits to radio clubs in the North East.

I don't know if they go further afield.

They had a large stand at the recent Hornsea Rally on the coast near Bridlington for example, as they did in 2017 & 2016. I've attached a few pics I took of their stand at Hornsea on 14th October to give some idea of the stuff they sell - all sorts of reasonably priced connectors, sockets, plugs, switches, components, semiconductors, small tools etc, and a few amateur radio 'walkie talkies' for want of a better term.

I don't get the impression that at this stage, they wish to have much of an internet presence - too busy getting the newly opened shop established I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canny Components.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	172424   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	172425   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic5.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	172426  
Old 7th Nov 2018, 10:58 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Wow good luck to them!

I might try to call in if I'm travelling between here and Huddersfield when they're open.

Their location is flagged on Google Earth.

David
Old 7th Nov 2018, 11:05 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I was only recently informed about this myself. Maybe the reason they've decided to do this now is because of the demise of Maplin?

Now that I've seen David's pictures I realise I bought some odds and ends from them at Galashiels, I didn't realise what their trading name was (for my sins, I never look at the trader pamphlet I'm given when I walk through the door at a rally).

I'll try to use them but I am normally going at 70mph whenever I'm on that side of the river.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 12:57 am   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

David, the centre picture is of Tony with his stand. He is near Boston. He is a one man band with occasional help from his son. Nothing to do with the "Canny Components". He would be quite upset i imagine.
Rob
Old 8th Nov 2018, 7:40 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
David, the centre picture is of Tony with his stand. He is near Boston. He is a one man band with occasional help from his son. Nothing to do with the "Canny Components". He would be quite upset i imagine.
Rob
Sorry Rob - my mistake.

The first and third pics are definitely Canny Components.

They seemed to do very well at the Rally.

It's always a busy rally in the Floral Hall on the promenade at Hornsea, and though it was a rainy squally day it didn't seem to detract from attendance. I've had a table there for the last few years to dispose of the remnants of my forty years in amateur radio. £7.00 for a table, no charge for stallholders entry, power laid on to the table if required. Some car boot sales charge more than that for a patch of knee high grass in a wet field.

I've just about cleared out everything amateur radio wise - what didn't sell at Hornsea will probably get skipped.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 9:52 am   #8
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Ok David, mistakes happen. Never been to that rally. The Finningley one I have visited twice. It doesn't look far on the map but seemed to take ages to get to. Didn't go this year. I know Bill goes to Hornsea as well as Horncastle where I usually see him.
It does seem that component suppliers with a good range do well at rallies. Seems people treat them with respect, like a shop and dont make silly offers.
I found if I took some excess stock in bags with a quantity of say 50 at 10% of individual part price, they hardly sold. Or people offered stupidly low amounts. These days I just dont bother. Another ploy on say a sig gen at £10. Will you take a couple of quid, I only want the knobs! Yet, at Kings Lynn rally a trader had a box of the ww2 r1155 type knobs at a £1 each and did quite well. Buyer didn't haggle, just paid £5 for 5. Btw, have you noticed David how ba grub screws are expensive these days. Any rubbishy looking or broken knobs I save the screws and throw the rest.
Rob
Old 8th Nov 2018, 11:31 am   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Iv'e got a box of Radiospares grub screws but they look a bit rusty.

Peter
Old 8th Nov 2018, 12:07 pm   #10
Andrewausfa
Octode

Good luck to them.

That chap in the middles stall is connector heaven.

Andrew
Closed Thread