UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2018, 1:40 pm   #1
placemat
Triode

Default Garrard SP25 Turntable problem...

Hello all,
I decided to play an old 78 on my Father-In-Law's Dynatron which has a Garrard SP25 turntable built in.
Everything is on, but when I move the switch to the 'PLAY' position, the platter doesn't spin. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
If I move the table and place the needle on the record, you can hear it play. But there seems to be no power to the turntable itself?!
Any help is appreciated as usual.
Many thanks, Steve.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 2:17 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard SP25 Turntable problem...

Does it work on the other speeds? If not, carefully remove the turntable (prise off circlip around spindle) and check the motor is spinning. Then check for good contact between the rubber drive wheel and the inner rim of the turntable platter. Clean off any debris with Meths.
I suspect that the SP25 will be fitted with a single stylus, moving magnet cartridge. Do not use this on any 78 rpm shellac record. It's for microgroove records only. If it has a turnover LP/78 cartridge, then that's fine.
Old 18th Dec 2018, 4:50 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Garrard SP25 Turntable problem...

First things first.

Remove the turntable. You'll see the motor pulley which is stepped brass. With the player in the OFF position, you should be able to turn it very easily by hand. If you cant, it means the motor has seized. The motor will have to be removed, dismantled, cleaned and relubricated.

If you can turn the pulley, then you should move the switch to Manual, Does the motor spin? If not then its quite possible that either the motor or the switch has failed.

Please carry out these checks and let us know the outcome

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread