UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2021, 9:55 pm   #1
rjmontgomery
Triode

Default Repairing a Blaupunkt Arkansas Deluxe Radiogram - any advice useful!

Hi there,

I'm new here and not in any way knowledgeable, so apologies in advance for any unclear info!

Years ago, I bought a Blaupunkt Arkansas Deluxe Radiogram that the owner assumed was broken - to my delight, it actually worked great! The radio still runs perfectly and the sound is great - however, I've had a few issues with it as times gone by, and I'm determined to use these next few months to get them fixed.

1. BROKEN TURNTABLE
The Garrard turntable struggled to turn properly for ages, and the sound kept cutting out - I was desperate to get it sorted, but the cost of having someone visit my flat to fix it was far, far above what I could afford. Last year, I decided to try and see if I could fix it myself.
I found an old thread on here of someone with the exact same problem, spent a few days following what they worked out, almost got there... and then totally broke the motor being clumsy. Disaster!
I'd love to finally get the turntable working properly again. Is the easiest solution to buy a replacement turntable? If so, what replacements could I get, and how would I go about getting one?

2. SHORTENED WIRES
I really struggled stripping and re-attaching the wires that connected the turntable to the speakers - the insides of the wires were so fragile that I kept breaking them, cutting them shorter, breaking them again... I think I have *just* enough length left, but I'm worried that if I do get a new turntable, I may no longer have a long enough wire to connect it to the speakers anymore. Is this something I can easily fix myself by, for example, buying new wire? Or is it not as simple as that because the parts involved are all vintage?
Apologies again if this is a ridiculous question, but as I said, I'm very much out of my depth!

3. BROKEN BULB
The body of the unit has a set of double doors which open up to reveal a bar - opening the door turns on a small bulb, which stopped working a few years ago. I cannot for the life of me find a new bulb that will work - do I need to ensure that I have a really specific bulb as its an old unit, or could it be a wiring issue instead?

I've attached photos of the unit, Garard turntable, sign beside the light fitting, and the last bulb I bought to fix it which didn't work- if anyone can offer any advice, I'd be very grateful! Alternatively if you need more info/photos, I'm happy to help.

Thanks again!

R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_204019400.MP.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	224968   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_204033595.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	224969   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_204147226.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	224970   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_204210354.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	224971  
Old 19th Jan 2021, 11:38 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Repairing a Blaupunkt Arkansas Deluxe Radiogram - any advice useful!

I think that bulb runs off mains. While mains filament bulbs seem to have been banned, they are still made and sold for use in ovens. LEDs don't take kindly to the temperatures, so high temperature 15w jobs are still made in that shape and base... and I need one for my oven at the moment!

Of course the heat made by an oven bulb simply contributes to the oven heat and so the thermostat can back off a bit to compensate and it all comes out in the wash. There is no ecological disadvantage to a filament bulb.

David
Old 20th Jan 2021, 9:48 am   #3
Richardgr
Heptode

Default Re: Repairing a Blaupunkt Arkansas Deluxe Radiogram - any advice useful!

Not sure what you meant by this -
I really struggled stripping and re-attaching the wires that connected the turntable to the speakers
Are these the wires that carry the low level signal from the turntable to the pre-amplifier, or wires that connect the speakers to the amplifier?

When you say you broke the motor, what happened exactly? Are you attached to the idea of originality?
Old 20th Jan 2021, 9:55 am   #4
Michael Maurice

If you have indeed broken the motor, them I’m afraid its game over. These motors are 110V 50HZ and are not easily found.

You’d have to get a motor from the US, strip it down, take the rotor, bearing, and motor pulley from your motor and fit it to the American one.

Blaupunkt and other manufacturers ran the motor off a tap on the mains transformer,

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 20th Jan 2021, 11:10 am   #5
rjmontgomery
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgr View Post
Not sure what you meant by this -
I really struggled stripping and re-attaching the wires that connected the turntable to the speakers
Are these the wires that carry the low level signal from the turntable to the pre-amplifier, or wires that connect the speakers to the amplifier?

When you say you broke the motor, what happened exactly? Are you attached to the idea of originality?
The first ones! I can attach a picture if it helps
Old 20th Jan 2021, 11:12 am   #6
rjmontgomery
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
If you have indeed broken the motor, them I’m afraid its game over. These motors are 110V 50HZ and are not easily found.

You’d have to get a motor from the US, strip it down, take the rotor, bearing, and motor pulley from your motor and fit it to the American one.

Blaupunkt and other manufacturers ran the motor off a tap on the mains transformer,
This is what I thought - I couldn't believe it when the motor broke, it was one of those moments of long silent horror. I'm fairly certain I've devalued the unit to the cost of the wood at this point!

Is there any way I can find a replacement turntable that I could put in place? Or is that nigh-on impossible?
Old 20th Jan 2021, 11:22 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It will be quite easy to buy a replacement S/H Garrard autochanger (but only if you have to) as there are many similar Garrard models. You could then sell your old one for spares. You will need to re-use your original cartridge, but a more modern (higher compliance) version would be better. The wires from the turntable do not go to the speakers, they go to the main chassis, are these the wires you say are now short?
Do not confuse these with the 2 wires that provide power to the motor. Can we assume that the Radio Tuner section is working OK?
Old 20th Jan 2021, 11:57 am   #8
rjmontgomery
Triode

Thanks Edward! If you have any advice for where I go to get a new autochanger and modern cartridge, and what I'll need to keep in mind when choosing one etc, it'd be massively appreciated - I really am clueless, as you can tell!

You're right about the wires - it's the ones that go to the main chassis. They're short, but currently not *too* short - I've got just enough length, but only just, so I was wondering if replacing them might be more sensible. I have no idea if that's possible!

Thankfully the radio still works beautifully - I'd probably have sold the whole unit for scrap by now if it didn't!
Old 20th Jan 2021, 2:59 pm   #9
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
It will be quite easy to buy a replacement S/H Garrard autochanger

No it's not Edward. Look at post #4. These Blaupunkts have a 110V 50HZ motor, try finding one!

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:01 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmontgomery View Post
Thanks Edward! If you have any advice for where I go to get a new autochanger and modern cartridge, and what I'll need to keep in mind when choosing one etc, it'd be massively appreciated - I really am clueless, as you can tell!

Thankfully the radio still works beautifully - I'd probably have sold the whole unit for scrap by now if it didn't!
You can buy a Garrard "Autoslim" direct replacement - or a Garrard model 1000, or 1025 or 2000 or 2025 or 3000.
These will directly fit the cut out on the motor board.
You'll also need a new proper stereo cartridge like a BSR SC11M or SC12H.
Are you quite sure you current autochanger motor is dead? Do measure on a continuity tester the motor windings and see if there is a reading?
Your costs are likely to be i.r.o £55-00/60.00 for the S/H autochanger - it will need to be one that is FULLY working! - and a NOS cartridge + P&P. You will need to consider the wiring and refitting of all this.
You may be able to re-sell the original autochanger (if you have to?) for spares and the cartridge (if still working) and you may recoup c.£15.00/20.00. Of course you might consider getting someone to do this for you.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:22 pm   #11
Station X

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
It will be quite easy to buy a replacement S/H Garrard autochanger
No it's not Edward. Look at post #4. These Blaupunkts have a 110V 50HZ motor, try finding one!
Why are you ignoring Michael Maurice's advice Edward?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:41 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

I think some Garrard decks can be configured for 110/125-220/250 volts.

Page 2, para. 5:

https://www.service-data.com/section.php/2963/1/1025t

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 20th Jan 2021 at 3:58 pm. Reason: link added
Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:52 pm   #13
rjmontgomery
Triode

Thanks so much for the input everyone!

If it helps to clear things up (apologies for not using correct terminology here) - when I say that the motor " broke", it was that I accidentally applied pressure to the spindle that stuck out the motor to turn the jockey wheel, heard a snap - no more spinning. I assumed that this is pretty much irreparable, but if this isn't the case do let me know!
Old 20th Jan 2021, 4:15 pm   #14
ms660
Dekatron

You could replace the record deck if the motor can't be repaired, a 240 volt deck would only need a small modification to the wiring up arrangements which would be simple to do, or you could source a Garrard 240volt motor that's specific to that range of deck and fit that with a small modification to the wiring up arrangements as already mentioned, you only need a 110/120 volt motor if you intend to power the radiogram from a 110/120 volt supply.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 20th Jan 2021 at 4:43 pm. Reason: extra info
Old 20th Jan 2021, 6:33 pm   #15
kirstyd
Heptode

Could he not just fit a 240 volt motor to the existing Garrard auto slim deck? I presume the mountings will be the same or is that not possible? Just a thought.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 6:34 pm   #16
kirstyd
Heptode

Sorry Lawrence didn't see your post.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 9:22 pm   #17
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

(MODS: I don'e know why you deleted my earlier response - if I've overooked something here please kindly advise.)

I think some of these Posts may be overly confusing the OP.
If used in the UK, a 240V 50Hz Garrard autochanger can easily be fitted by independently wiring it the mains via the main ON/OFF switch - or even simpler by (live and neutral only) wiring directly to the mains.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 10:21 pm   #18
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, with luck it only needs the rotor replacing in the motor.With luck a scrap motor complete from a similar deck and 240v may do.
Can you post a close up picture of the faulty motor?

Ed
Old 21st Jan 2021, 11:55 am   #19
rjmontgomery
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Gents, with luck it only needs the rotor replacing in the motor.With luck a scrap motor complete from a similar deck and 240v may do.
Can you post a close up picture of the faulty motor?

Ed
Hopefully the attached photos are clear enough!

Quote:
(MODS: I don'e know why you deleted my earlier response - if I've overooked something here please kindly advise.)

I think some of these Posts may be overly confusing the OP.
If used in the UK, a 240V 50Hz Garrard autochanger can easily be fitted by independently wiring it the mains via the main ON/OFF switch - or even simpler by (live and neutral only) wiring directly to the mains.
It's really useful to hear all of this - if it's possible, I'd be happy to get a different motor and then (realistically) hire someone who knows what they're doing to wire it after lockdown's finished.

I live in Crystal Palace, so if anyone happens to know anyone suitable nearby who'd be interested please do pass on their details!
Old 21st Jan 2021, 11:58 am   #20
rjmontgomery
Triode

Apologies, forgot to add the photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210121_104802147.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	225064   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210121_104854176.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	225065   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210121_104917772.jpg