UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 17th Apr 2018, 6:34 am   #1
PsychMan
Heptode

Default 5 ohm 10 inch Celestion Speakers for Bush Radiogram

Listed as model Z10Z0 3494. I don’t expect to find the exact drivers but thought it worth a try. Somebody has very kindly offered me some later compatible units and I may take them up on it. But does anybody have the same speakers in the attached pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43CF81F5-73F5-4CE5-A942-30630F7F3690.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	161258   Click image for larger version

Name:	45586A6B-ED23-4F50-9CA7-2278A61DCB1A.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	161259   Click image for larger version

Name:	373FEDE2-F066-46AE-966A-F366AE331440.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	161260   Click image for larger version

Name:	71D6038B-1594-4919-ADD4-E8B808A0D3FE.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	161261  
PsychMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2018, 8:42 am   #2
simpsons
Pentode

Default Re: 5 ohm 10 inch Celestion Speakers for Bush Radiogram

Well, these 10 inchers are something special and I take my hat off to the accountants at Bush for letting engineering have their way.

The magnets and basket size suggest these were not "run of the mill" TV speakers from TUG26's etc. fitted into a gram but more the quality European designs we see in Grundig, Philips and Telefunken radios and radiograms.

I can see why you would like to find the correct speakers and wish you luck.

Chris
simpsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2018, 8:58 am   #3
PsychMan
Heptode

Indeed, in an ideal world Id get the same units. I am looking into a re-cone job but not hopeful it will be affordable.

If I cant find the same I do want something decent quality, even if it means experimenting with 4 ohm car units which I'm told operate well in "poor" cabinets. Just trying to exhaust every possibility before I decide where to go next
Old 17th Apr 2018, 10:45 pm   #4
simpsons
Pentode

I have Emailed a friend of mine who collects vintage audio and who knows?

10" car loudspeakers might be an answer but another option is to get hold of another Bush Radiogram with the same speakers. You will have to do some investigations looking at photos - the SRG90 isn't one of them. It is said that no one wants radiograms anymore, pity Gumtree sellers missed the message!!.

Chris
simpsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2018, 9:06 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Maybe not so missed now- there's something of an upsurge in interest with the vinyl revival going on at present.
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2018, 9:28 am   #6
PsychMan
Heptode

Thanks Chris that's very kind of you to make the enquiry. Ive asked Kirstyd if I can please have the ones that were kindly offered and I think I will fit those for now in lieu of finding some originals. If they sound good enough they may well remain permanent.

I don't see SRG86s come up very often, usually RG66 (the mono version). When I bought this one it was in rough condition, cabinet still is and has plenty of deep scratches and some chipped veneer, baise inside is poor and some needs redoing. I paid £10 for it I think. Might have made sense to hold out for a better one, but part of me likes rehoming poor examples and making the best of them. The speakers are the most disappointing however. The previous owner passed away and he himself was a vintage audio enthusiast and had rescued it and stored it in his garage after it was dumped somewhere. From the look of the top I think it spent some time outside, so its well due the TLC I am giving it

Unfortunately many people are listing such gear and peripherals for cheeky prices online now based on other sellers asking prices, it seems to have a ripple effect. Even at carboots, the amount of times I hear sellers say "well they sell for X on ebay". Well, go and sell it on ebay then!
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 6:18 am   #7
London John
Tetrode

I just gave a clean pair to a friend, I'd run out of storage space. I don't think he has a use for them either, so will call him up and revert asap.
London John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 9:01 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There are a pair of good 10" Celestions from a Bush Radiogram (SRG110?) on eBay right now!
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 12:50 pm   #9
PsychMan
Heptode

London John, thanks very much!

Edward thanks but they’re 3 ohms, I saw them too!
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 5:52 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Would the slight impedance mismatch be a big deal in practice? I doubt it, personally.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote