UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2009, 7:19 pm   #1
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Default HMV 1416 Radiogram (Actually a 1618A)

Hi all,
This is a bit late coming but here goes anyways.

Just before xmas I was asked if I could look at an old HMV Radiogram, of course I said yes
I don't know what it is but I really like working on radiogram's, and before we moved to Milton Keynes I had quite an extensive collection.
Sadly this house is just too small so we kept just one and that lives on the landing.

Anyways, this radiogram came from the Army barraks that the guy worked at, apparently it'd had been there since new !
When I picked it up I knew it well, I'd done 2 over the years for other people.
It basically worked but sounded rather quiet and distorted.

So the PSU / Amp was removed and looked at.
This is not the nicest thing to work on, you have to unsolder a few wires to gain access to the amplifier which lives on spacers atop of the Power Supply.
I think all the resistors had to be changed and certainly all those horrible drippy wax/paper Hunts caps were all totally

Next the record deck, siezed solid, everywhere and to make it far worse the part of the mechanism that the idler lives on was broken !
After a plee on the 'Wanted' page on this superb website I had another deck.
(My appologies but I've deleted the guy's name so I can't thank him here, anyway, you know who you are ~ In Peterborough )

After the rebuild, I stuck 'Reet Petite' on a 78 on it and it sounded OK ~ for a bit, then the sound faded into a nasty 'thin' distorted mess.
Checking the Grid's on the N78's showed that one was leaking really badly at 10 Volts
So, a drive to see my old mate Mike Lewis was fruitfull and the new N78's were fitted, the thing was then faultless and played for many hours until the owner came back from holiday.

Before the owner came back to get it I gave the cabinet a 'touch up' and polish, it came up really well, after all, not many scratches and no worm holes.

SO that's it for the HMV, it's back in Ampthill getting played a lot.
The guy's a massive Rock 'n Roll fan and plays in a local Rockabilly group and he wanted to use this to play his 78's on.

Hope you enjoyed reading this.

Dr. Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV RG.JPG
Views:	1388
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	22935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Before Top Section.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	22936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp After Top Section.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	22937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken !.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	22938   Click image for larger version

Name:	N78's.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	22939  

Old 6th Feb 2009, 12:37 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 1416 Radiogram

And a great machine for that it is too. The N78 can sometimes be hard to get hold of.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 6th Feb 2009, 10:17 am   #3
Tim
Dekatron

Another one cured Doctor!
In my experience the N78 isn't that great a valve. You were lucky yours actually had emission! Unfortunately no equivalents either.
Old 11th Feb 2009, 1:18 pm   #4
Mach One
Heptode

Quick question: Sorry for the cheek...

Are you sure that the model number is 1416?
Old 14th Feb 2009, 2:24 pm   #5
Dr-Watts
Heptode

A picture paints a thousand words...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1416A BAdge.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	23098

Thanks for reading the thread and pointing out my boo boo, I blame working on vintage TV sets with high voltage and X rays

Dr. Dave