UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2009, 11:59 pm   #1
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Default Philips EL3556

Just restored this 1966 Philips EL3556 tape recorder.

The mechanism needed the usual black rubber goo cleanup, new belts and a new FFwd idler, the pinch roller from a Philips N7300 i had in the junk pile was a perfect fit.

The erase/bias oscillator was dead, its +15v rail wasn't there even with the machine in "record" mode.
As it turned out, a section of the start/stop switch was bad, totally o/c,
this switch allows the oscillator to start only if both REC and PLAY keys are engaged.

Oddly the start/stop switch had two identical sections in series, and only one was bad, so i soldered in a little jumper to bypass the bad section and this fixed the problem (you can see it near the red arrow in the picture, i even used original vintage Philips wire to make it!) the oscillator is now working as it should.

This is a really nice recorder, the electronics are hybrid, with 3 valves and 6 transistors, and an EM87 "magic band" level indicator, the sound from the 5x7" built in speaker is simply unbelievable!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phil.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	22393   Click image for larger version

Name:	phil2.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	22394  

Last edited by Jimmyhaflinger; 12th Jan 2009 at 12:07 am.
Old 12th Jan 2009, 12:03 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips EL3556

Excellent machine, despite the Philips Goo problem. Well done on fixing it and describing the fault so clearly.

Another one set to last another 30 years.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Jan 2009, 12:07 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very nice, looks like new inside!

We used to have one of these at primary school (London in the very early 1980s) along with a couple of Tandbergs.

Nick.
Old 12th Jan 2009, 12:16 am   #4
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Also forgot to mention that i had to dismantle, clean and relube the motor as the upper bearing had gummed up grease in it and was frozen...

This machine is very clean, almost like new, and is really enjoyable to use!

Next project will be a 1972 Philips N4407, this machine uses the same basic mechanism as the EL3556 but the rubber "brake fingers" melted in this one, and i don't have another FFwd idler, this project is going to be a tough one...
Old 12th Jan 2009, 12:29 am   #5
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhaflinger View Post
Next project will be a 1972 Philips N4407, this machine uses the same basic mechanism as the EL3556 but the rubber "brake fingers" melted in this one, and i don't have another FFwd idler, this project is going to be a tough one...
Can I suggest you google Terry's rubber rollers. If you send the old idler, he'll make you a new one.

Very nice tape recorder, a worthwhile project.
Old 12th Jan 2009, 12:05 pm   #6
stevekendal
Heptode

Nice job Jimmy. I have a nearly-identical EL3576 and I'm just about to start a thread on it in another section. Steve.
Old 13th Jan 2009, 11:05 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhaflinger View Post

good job! I used pinch rollers from some old cheap and nasty sanyo portable decks to replace the idler on these. And for the brake fingers I made my own using bits of the rubber tape 'anti-slack' stabiliser from an old N1500 video cassette box! Like you, a 'period' philips repair through and through!

Ben
Old 13th Jan 2009, 11:39 pm   #8
Reelman
Octode

I also have one of these to restore. Luckily the belts have just sagged rather than gone to goo. I see that one of the belts is triangular! - typical Philips. Can anyone suggest a source for replacement belts? If anyone needs it I have the service manual.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:20 pm   #9
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
I also have one of these to restore. Luckily the belts have just sagged rather than gone to goo. I see that one of the belts is triangular! - typical Philips. Can anyone suggest a source for replacement belts? If anyone needs it I have the service manual.

Cheers,

Peter

Beware, your sagged belts will turn into goo quite soon.

a regular square belt works fine in place of the triangular one.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:22 pm   #10
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post

good job! I used pinch rollers from some old cheap and nasty sanyo portable decks to replace the idler on these. And for the brake fingers I made my own using bits of the rubber tape 'anti-slack' stabiliser from an old N1500 video cassette box! Like you, a 'period' philips repair through and through!

Ben
I have a box of VCR tapes including a few broken ones, i'll try this!
Closed Thread